Author Topic: Ann Stockton marriage 1878  (Read 2972 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stockton marriage 1878
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 June 17 06:50 BST (UK) »
Robert William Stockdale was registered 1852 Hull, Vol 09d page 169 mother maiden name Sideman,
s/b Lideman.
A copy of the certificate should verify fathers name.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 June 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
1841 Census Spencer Square Hull
Mary Liddeman 60
John Liddeman 20
William Liddeman 13  possible death 1846
Hannah Perthwart 30  s/b Postlethwaite
Mary Perthwart 6  s/b Postlethwaite

Thomas Postlethwaite married Hannah Liddeman 30 October 1829 Sculcoates York.
Transcription only on ancestry.

William Lideman married Mary French 8 October 1799 Holy Trinity Hull, transcription only

possible for son John, parents William and Mary
Born 12 September 1819 Independent Church Holborn Street Hull, bapt 24 August 1824 Bowling Alley Lane, Presbyterian or Unitarian Church.

Daughter Ann Lideman born 14 November 1823 Holborn Street Independent Church, bapt with John at Bowling Alley Lane Church 24 August 1824. 

Holy Trinity Hull
Martha Lideman daughter of William born 1812 buried 20 July 1813
Martha Lideman daughter of William buried 28 September 1818
Sarah Ann Lideman daughter of William buried 6 December 1822
William Lidyman buried 28 November 1838  probably Mary' husband and Ann' father.

This would make Ann "Stockdale" nee Liddeman  age 27 in 1851 not 22

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 June 17 07:23 BST (UK) »
Freebmd
Ann Lideman married Robert Stockdale December Quarter 1850 vol 22 page 415 Hull registration

Offline Brian75

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 June 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
I can't find his father Robert William 1830 ether, as for his mother Sarah Ann Butler ? I have only got this from Public Member Trees in Ancestry.  The only thing I have found is this.
Name:   Robert Stockton
Service Date:   1854-1855
Service Place:   Crimea
Campaign or Service:   Crimean War
Regiment or Unit Name:   63rd Regiment of Foot
Regimental Number:   ??5

You have said it seems Robert was away with the Regiment 1841-1851 in 1841 he would have only been 11years old.
Will have to look into it further, his he connected to your family at all.
Brian
Ralph, Milne, Stockton, Atkinson, Kendall, Wise, Davey,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Brian, no I am not connected to the family (just one of the many on Rootschat that help others when they can).

If you have a good look at the tree you refer to on Ancestry it's completely 'up the pole'.

First, they have 'your' Robert William Stockton born per census ca.1852/3 as the one who's birth was reg'd Sept.qtr.1849 - a) clearly no checks have been done as that child was bp.26/8/1849 St.Stephen, Hull son of a William Stockton and wife Rosanna whose maiden name was Frankish.   A further check would have shown that this child soon after birth as their death is recorded in the same quarter/year - indeed the child buried on 29/8/1849.

As amondg has discovered, for some reason there was a change of surname from Stockdale to Stockton hence not finding your Robert Williams birth before - he was reg'd as previously stated in Dec.qtr.1852 Hull as Stockdale not Stockton but not baptised under either surname!   Why the change in surname between 1852 and 1861 from Stockdale to Stockton I have no idea.

Robert Stockdale full age  Potter (that's what it looks like) son of Robert Stockdale, bricklayer married Ann Lideman full age, dau. of William Lideman, labourer - witnesses John Lideman and Mary Postlethwaite - on 25/11/1850 St Stephen, Kingston upon Hull.

Four months later on 1851 census no trace of Robert senior but as amondg has posted his wife Ann is shown as Stockdale living with her widowed mother Mary, Mary Postlethwaite 16 (presumably the witness to Ann's marriage) and her illegitimate son Charles Parkin 8 (not 2).   However, as previously suspected and now confirmed Ann Lideman had never been married to a Parkin - son Charles' birth reg'd as Charles Parkin Lideman in Mar.qtr.1844 and how I don't know but he was baptised as Charles Parkin 15/4/1844 Holy Trinity, Hull son of Edward Parkin (shipwright) and Ann as if he was born from their lawful union (which he wasn't).   I suspect he was actually born late 1843 as his age on census nearly always ends with '8'.   (Said Charles Parkin marries an Annie Hall in 1868 and states his father as Edward Parkin, shipwright (deceased).   I think Edward Parkin died in 1849 so presumably he and Ann were together until then (without benefit of clergy).   The following year she marries (quite rightly) Robert Stockdale as spinster Ann Lideman. 

Ann Lideman born 14/11/1823 and baptised as previously detailed by amondg, dau. of William and Mary.   Her 'partner' Edward Parkin b.1821 was the son of a Barbara Parkin, widow, who married a Richard Lambert in 1831.   In 1861 Census Charles Parkin is with his paternal grandmother Barbara Lambert and in 1871 - now married to Annie - with his mother Ann Stockton and half brother Robert.

Back to Robert Stockdale later Stockton.   At his marriage to Ann Lideman his father is shown as Robert Stockdale, bricklayer and there is such a person living with wife Isabella in Hull in 1841 and 1851.  Robert Stockdale, bricklayer, widower married Isabella Good, widow, 22/11/1824 Drypool, Yorkshire.   They do not appear to have had any children together so son Robert Stockdale/Stockton was presumably a son from Robert's first marriage.   However, I don't know who his first wife was - one would assume that Robert, father of your Robert William b.1852 was bc.1820 and although I've looked at possible Robert Stockdale baptisms with a father named Robert none of them have been a bricklayer (farmer, stone mason and tanner) so don't know where exactly he was born, when, or the name of his mother. 

Can you confirm that it definitely states 63rd Regiment, soldier on RW's marriage certificate as occupation of his deceased father and not just soldier?

The details I gave previously were for a Robert Stockton who was in the 63rd Regiment of Foot service no. 1115 who on FindMyPast's British Army Worldwide Indexes 1841 in Moulmein (Burma?), and in 1851 Ashton under Lyne and Limerick (Ireland) as you'd mentioned this regiment.

However, should we now be looking for a Robert Stockdale in military records??

Annette 

Added - always checkout Ancestry Public Trees - they are submitted just from members such as you or I and never accept without checking that what they say is true.   They so often aren't!
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brian75

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 June 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
Annette

Thank you and  Amondg So much for all the info.  On the marriage certificate It just says
Soldier 63rd Regt (Deceased )
Hope this help's

Brian

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 June 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
Due to the name change from Stockdale to Stockton, Robert Stockton of the 63 Regiment is a red herring.

Robert Stockdale whose father is Robert a bricklayer is the correct person. 

Robert Stockdale age 71 in 1851 was born Beverly Yorkshire and his second wife Isabella age 62 was born "Deal" Yorkshire.

There is a Robert Stockdale baptized St John and St Martin Beverly 25 March 1780 son of William.

Offline Brian75

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 June 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks again you both have made me think again before I take things for granted.

Brian