Author Topic: Gossip family Thorp Arch, York  (Read 1978 times)

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gossip family Thorp Arch, York
« on: Tuesday 16 May 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for help with information about the Gossip family of Thorp Arch near York in the period 1790-1841.

I know that William Gossip inherited what I think was just the use of the hall from his uncle Wilmer Gossip in 1790. At this point William Gossip was 20 and a student at Oxford. I know that he did not complete his studies. I am connecting the two events.

Burke's reports that he married twice. I can find a marriage in London, to Elizabeth Thirkill, in 1795 and a marriage to Phoebe Dykes in York in 1833. I know that the latter marriage was him as this is family. I need confirmation re his marriage to Elizabeth and also information re her death.

Burke's also reports that William died without issue. He did however have two children in 1815 and 1819 with Phoebe. He recognised these children as his natural children in his will, made in 1833 after his marriage, and before his death, in the same year.

I think that William's grandfather, another William Gossip, created some sort of trust for Thorp Arch in his will. He died in 1772 and his will is online. I cannot read the will and would be grateful is any-one could advise.

There is a record from the Manchester Grammar School registers which says that William lived at Thorp Arch 'for some time' before giving it, in 1814, to his brother Randall. This is supported by the subsequent births, at Thorp Arch, of Randall's youngest children.

So, William inherits in 1790 and does what for 25 years?

He impregnates a local farmer's daughter in 1814 and her son is born in 1815. I can find no acknowledgement at this stage of William's involvement.

In 1819 a second son is baptised in London and is clearly identified as the son of William Gossip and Phoebe Dykes.

Then nothing more until 1833 when William married Phoebe in York and dies 4 months later. His will and her will are both online.

Could any-one help fill any of the gaps or tell me where I could look? Thank you.

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gossip family Thorp Arch, York
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 17:36 BST (UK) »

Hi,

There is a marriage of a Elizabeth Thirkill and William Gossip at St Marylebone, London 27th June 1792.

Possibly Elizabeth died in 1832 as there is a buriel showing up for a Elizabeth Gossip born 1771 died 1832 at York, St Mary Bishophill Senior.

There is a collection of William Gossip which is held by York Minister Archives.  This link maybe of some help.  https://yorkminster.org/treasures-and-collections/historic-collections/records-amp-manuscripts.html

Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I have the marriage and the burial and the dates all fit i.e. he married at 25 in London (I think that Elizabeth Thirkill was from York however), moved out of Thorp Arch to accommodate his brother. Elizabeth died in Dec 1832 and he married his long term mistress Phoebe in April 1833, as you would.
I just can't prove that I am right. I need something else that refers to either William and Elizabeth or William and Phoebe - it looks as if they were living on either side of York Minster when they married in 1833. This information would be in the period 1790-1833.
I can't find the details of what is held on William Gossip at York Minster. Sorry, am I being thick? There was more than one William Gossip so the dates are important. If they fit, I am off there!
Thanks again.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 20:51 BST (UK) »

I think that William's grandfather, another William Gossip, created some sort of trust for Thorp Arch in his will.

He died in 1772 and his will is online.

I cannot read the will and would be grateful is any-one could advise.

William Gossip Esquire
Probate Date:   10 Jun 1772
Residence:   York, Yorkshire, England

There's far too many pages to the Will and trying to decipher every word would take some time -
have sent you a PM

these names appear on the Will

Anna - wife
George Gossip
Randal Gossip
Thomas Gossip
William Gossip
Wilmer Gossip the son and sole executor named in the said will to whom administration
was granted ……………..
Thomas Robinson
Richard Thompson

Is this William & Ann(e)

Burke 1855
Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland

Family of Gossip

William Gossip of Hatfield & Thorpe Arch b 6 March 1704 m 13 Nov 1731 Anne, dau and co heir of George Wilmer, eldest son of Randal Wilmer

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter Thompson 17

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 22 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I have come across an advert (attached) from 1834 which announces a sale of household goods at No 17 South Parade York. The effects are of Mrs Gossip, late of Minster Yard York.  Could she be a member of the Gossips of Thorp Arch?  She sounds like quite a wealthy lady given the items for sale.