Author Topic: James Longmuir and Katharine / Christina Mollison  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Pittyman67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Longmuir and Katharine / Christina Mollison
« on: Tuesday 16 May 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm descended from James Longmuir (Glenbervie 1790 - ?) and Elspet Mason (? - ?).

I know that James Longmuir had an illegitimate child with Katharine Molyson as recorded in the Kirk Session for Arbuthnott.

December the Thirteenth (1807), The Kirk Session being called met and constituted compeared Katharine Molyson, an unmarried woman presently warding in the parish of Kineff but late servant to George Molyson Tenant in Cloak in this parish, and judicially confessed that she was with child to James Longmuir servant to the said George Molyson, and that the guilt was contracted in this parish. The said James Longmuir who attended the session at the same time being asked whether he judicially acknowledged himself the father of the child the said Katharine was pregnant with: answered in the affirmative and both the aforesaid persons having declared their willingness to submit to censure by appearing thrice several Sabbaths before the congregation, they were exhorted by the Minister and the said Katharine Molyson was defined to begin her public appearance next Sabbath.

Haven't had much luck tracing their daughter who was baptised Margaret.

Q1. Have found a burial for a James Longmuir in 1834 in Arbroath. Can anyone advise how I can research this further to determine whether or not this is my James Longmuir?

Q2. Have found a death certificate for a Christina Longmuir, widow of ? and daughter of George Mollison. Could this Christina Mollison / Longmuir be the same person? My gut feeling is yes. Died 1862 aged 70 meaning born 1792 so having illegitimate child at age 15 may not be out of the question albeit census records indicate she (Christina) was born circa 1784 which fits. Also have the inventory for Christina Mollison which sheds no light as to who she is, her nephew turns out to be totally unrelated. Any help in unravelling this one appreciated.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: James Longmuir and Katharine / Christina Mollison
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
What difficult ancestors!

I can't get a handle on James Longmuir.  For the early part of his life he seems to be local to Drumlithie, Fordoun and Arbuthnott, which makes me a tad uncomfortable with the Arbroath burial where he is recorded as being a weaver.  Have you found a marriage for him and Elspet Mason or any sign of them being together after the baptism of their son John in 1810?  Anything else at all on Elspet?  John appears to have stayed local to the Fordoun area so did not make the move to Arbroath? Given that Elspet is a diminutive of Elizabeth and is interchangeable with the name Isobel, there is the baptism of Isobel Mason, dau of Alexander 26/7/1780 at Fordoun which might be a possible. 

Are you thinking Christina is Katharine?

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne