Author Topic: Ellen Lydia Bishop married William Turner in Toronto 1910  (Read 1875 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ellen Lydia Bishop married William Turner in Toronto 1910
« on: Tuesday 16 May 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've just found out that Ellen Lydia Bishop, born 28 July 1885 Bedford, England, daughter of Thomas Bishop & Alice Allen; married William Turner also born 1885, in Toronto, Ontario on 29 Oct 1910. My questions are, (1) can anyone find a shipping list, either out of UK or into Canada of Ellen Bishop prior to that. (she was at home in Bedford age 15 on 1901 census)  (2) can anyone find on subsequent Canada census this William & Ellen Turner.

Thanks John. Ellen was my paternal grandmother's sister
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Lydia Bishop married William Turner in Toronto 1910
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
For starters, they were back in England in 1915/6? when William signed up in the Bedford Regt in WW1. Ellen's address at the time is given as 20 Denmark St Bedford. William's lenghthy service record can be seen on Ancestry. There are no children listed.

You can search the 1911 census for free at this website....

http://automatedgenealogy.com

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
There is a much later passenger list for Ellen, which shows her first arrival time in Canada, if it helps.

Date of Arrival:    31 Dec 1933
Vessel:    Duchess of Atholl
Port of Arrival:    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Port of Departure:    Liverpool, England
name: Ellen Lydia Turner
married
born Bedford, England
Nationalit: British crossed out, Canada handwritten above
In Canada before: Oct 1910 to Nov 1933, in Toronto, Ont.
Destination: Husband, William Turner 152 Coleman Ave, Toronto, Ont
Passport 36904 Ottawa 13/7/32

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Assuming this is their return after the war...it appears to match the military records.

Arrived Canada 24 October 1919 on the Metagama

Wiiliam and Ellen L, no children listed. Had been in Canada 1910 to 1914, in Toronto. Going to Toronto Ontario now. Employer Adams Shoe Company.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
William and Ellen are on the 1921 census at 92 1/2 Coleman Ave.  It's very hard to read, but it says they both came to Canada in 1910.  His occupation looks like "cutter",  can't make out the industry at all. No children with them.

In the 1923 Toronto directory, William, still on Coleman Ave, is listed as a glass ctr.
https://archive.org/stream/torontocitydirectory1923#page/1548/mode/2up

Earlier and a few later directories can be found at http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp

Polarbear,  I think on the ship list where you mention the employer Adams Shoe Co, that it applies to the person listed above William, but the address below it, 114 McCall, applies to William and Ellen.  From the directories, Adams Shoe Co was on King St, and the person above them on the ship list, Leonard Tyler, was a boot finisher.  The way they wrote the company/address does make it look like both lines apply to William, but I don't think they do; I only double checked it as William was a glass engineer/cutter, and working at a shoe store wasn't making sense to me.
As to William and Ellen going to 114 McCall, I can only find a McCaul St.  At 114 McCaul in 1918/19 was a Kate McDermott, and in 1920 the resident was an Albert J Malone, so perhaps a friend or family?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks PolarBear & bbart for that info...

From his WW1 papers it says he's a glass engineer & a british citizen, attested in Bedford Dec 1915, posted June 1916 & discharged Feb 1919. He signs a receipt for his badge in May 1922.... all stating the address 20 Denmark Street, Bedford which became the home of his brother in law, Tom Stephen Bishop from 1920 onwards & where William & Ellen Turner are listed on the Electoral Roll in 1918/1919.  The papers also have a letter saying Mr&Mrs Turner left England for Canada on the 15th inst but it doesn't show any other date/year. Seems they came from Canada for him to sign up on the Laurentic arriving Liverpool on July 29 1914.

Incoming Passengers into UK has 2 entries for Mrs Ellen Turner, housewife going to 6 York Street, Bedford (the address of her parents) sailing from Montreal to London. The first aged 39, on ship Ausonia, arriving 7 July 1925. The second aged 41, on ship Aurania, arriving 8 July 1928.

Cheers John   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
1935 voters list has William Turner, manufacturer, at 152 Coleman.  No Mrs Turner listed, also at this address  Mr & Mrs Frederick Wood.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
1945 voters list still at 152 Coleman Ave Toronto, Mr & Mrs Wm Turner.  His occupation listed as Standard Brands.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
I have not been able to find the original arrival of Ellen. The records for the port she arrived at may not be on line, may be missing, or the page unreadable. She could also have come in through the USA.

bbart, I believe you are correct about the shoe factory entry being for the entry above William. Looks like I followed the wrong line.

PB