Author Topic: mid 1800s Canadian Ambrotype Agnes Jeffrey  (Read 1414 times)

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mid 1800s Canadian Ambrotype Agnes Jeffrey
« on: Tuesday 16 May 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
   This is an ambrotype, that is allegedly of my g-g-grandmother, Agnes Jeffrey (1819-1873). Her maiden name was Moscrip, and her first marriage was to a John McLenhan, who passed away in 1847. I've always been told that the baby is my g-grandfather, Henry Jeffrey (1860-1952), but recently have become not-so-sure. Someone even recently told me that this was a post-mortem photograph, and that the baby was dead! The family lived in Cobourg, Northumberland, Upper Canada from 1853 - 1873.
   I'd love to hear someone's impressions about the date, and if this could be a post-mortem photograph.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mid 1800s Canadian Ambrotype Agnes Jeffrey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
It's unusual for a studio photograph to capture a sleeping baby and for it to be dressed in black so I am inclined to agree with it being a PM photo. It is very sensitively done though.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
I think it's 1860s (maybe a bit earlier) but also would agree that it's a pm photograph.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
Ambrotypes were the norm in the 1850's & were still in use in the early 1860's. I would suggest this is the upper end of those dates.
I would agree most probably a pm.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 May 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Have you identified a death of a child in the late 1850s early 1860s? The child looks to be around 6/7 months old. This looks to have been taken a little later than your Dag. They are lovely and you are very lucky to have them.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 May 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't been able to verify a child's death. However, Agnes Jeffrey (the mother) gave birth in 1854, 1856, 1860, and 1862 (every two years, except between 1856 and 1860). I'm now wondering if there might've been a birth in 1858, and the child died?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 May 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
That is certainly worth looking into.
Carol

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 May 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
I'm interested, Carol, why are you thinking this is a post-mortem photograph? What clues lead you to this conclusion?
Thanks,

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 May 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
It's unusual for a photographer to take a photo of a sleeping baby and dressed in what appears to be black. This would probably be the only chance of the Mother having a photo of her baby and was  common practice in Victorian families.
Carol