Author Topic: June & July - HeritageTalks @ Central Library, Auckland  (Read 346 times)

Offline genebrarian

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
June & July - HeritageTalks @ Central Library, Auckland
« on: Wednesday 17 May 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
HeritageTalks
(formerly the Family History Lunchtime Series)

• Are you interested in family and local history?
    The history of this country, as well as the rest of the world?
    Then why not come along to one of our fortnightly HeritageTalks and hear more about both our personal and our shared heritage.

These talks are given by experts in their field and can provide valuable insight into our histories.

Coming up in HeritageTalks:

JUNE

Please note that Level 2 of Central Library is closed for refurbishment from Thursday 8 June - Monday 3 July.

The book that changed Europe, with Andrew Henry
Wednesday 14 June, 12pm -1pm
Waitemata Room, Level 3

Picart’s Ceremonies, recently called ‘the book that changed Europe’, was the first book to compare the world’s religions in a way that encouraged tolerance. A publishing sensation at the time, it is sadly still relevant almost three centuries later. Come and have a look at these beautifully illustrated volumes and hear how Auckland Libraries has ended up with two sets of this beautifully illustrated, seven-volume, 18th century work.

Māori Maps with Peter Dowling
Wednesday 28 June, 12pm -1pm
Waitemata Room, Level 3

Māori Maps is a portal to the 750-plus ancestral marae of Aotearoa New Zealand. Relaunched in January this year in a mobile-friendly format, the site provides key information, maps and photos for each marae – going as far as the gateway to help descendants to reconnect and visitors to engage respectfully with marae communities.  

Maori Maps is administered by charitable organisation Te Potiki National Trust. Peter Dowling is a director of the Trust and acts as its kaihautu. Come and listen to him speak about the project and find out how Maori can trace their personal heritage.

JULY

Māori place names - Point Erin to Wynyard Quarter with Herewini Easton
Wednesday 12 July, 12pm -1pm

E tu ake ana ahau ki Okā
Ka tiro atu ki Te Waikōkota
Ka rongo ahau ki ngā wai e tere nei
Ko Tīkapa Moana, ko Hauraki ko Waitemata
Ko Ūreia he tipua he taniwha
As I stand at Okā I look out across Te Waikōkota
I sense the waters flowing, Tīkapa Moana, Hauraki, Waitemata
Here is Ūreia the mythical sea creature

Join Herewini Easton on a pictorial journey of the ancient shoreline of Auckland’s waterfront, from Point Erin to Brickfield Bay.

Engagement with Māori taonga with Rob Eruera
Wednesday 26 July, 12pm -1pm

The charismatic karanga of taonga Māori over the years has left my mind and heart filled with emotional wonder at how powerful such treasures truly are. Most important to this equation, however, is how people engage and join with the taonga. Please join me in this low key chat.
Nau mai – Haere mai  - Rob Eurera.

Where: Whare Wānanga, Level 2, Central City Library, Lorne St, Auckland with some marked exceptions
Cost: Free - All Welcome

Booking: Not always essential but to secure your place, please contact the Central Auckland Research Centre on 09 307 7771, or complete our online booking form www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/HeritageTalks

Download the pdf programme attached
Family History Librarian – so my professional research interests are everyone everywhere!

Personal interests: Harvey (Newfoundland and Kent, UK and Ireland); Pottle (Newfoundland); Boother (Kent and Ireland); Sullivan (Kent and Cork, Ireland); McKenzie (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Little (Aberdeen and Edinburgh, Scotland); Swanson (Caithness, Scotland)