Author Topic: Cemeteries near Edinkillie please  (Read 2117 times)

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Cemeteries near Edinkillie please
« on: Wednesday 17 May 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got any suggestions where someone who died in Edinkillie in 1929 might be buried please?

Elgin Registrar have checked their burial records for Edinkillie and then checked where several of her family members were buried at Rafford (Old & New) as well as checking where she married three years earlier - Llanbryde (New). Elgin library's heritage dept then checked Llanbryde (Old) for me but I still can't find her listed.

I can get to Elgin library to check some more myself but it would be helpful to try and narrow the search first.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Cemeteries near Edinkillie please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
I take it that you have looked in LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/people/mainfilter.asp ?

If she's not in Edinkillie, might she be in Forres?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.

Libindx was my first port of call but no luck there. My parents couldn't find Clovenside cemetery when they looked recently as I know another family member is there and they were going to look while there. We are planning back in a few weeks but I don't know any other cemeteries in Forres so I thought I would ask here first so that if I couldn't find her at Clovenside I would have a better idea where to try next or search in Elgin library.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.

Libindx was my first port of call but no luck there. My parents couldn't find Clovenside cemetery when they looked recently as I know another family member is there and they were going to look while there. We are planning back in a few weeks but I don't know any other cemeteries in Forres so I thought I would ask here first so that if I couldn't find her at Clovenside I would have a better idea where to try next or search in Elgin library.

Hmmm. If there's nothing in LIBINDX, it means that when they surveyed all the cemeteries in 1978/9 they can't have found a stone. So you need to check the burial records, which means Elgin Library.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
I wasn't sure if all the cemeteries headstones had been recorded but if so then Elgin library it is. Thanks again Forfarian. Do you happen to know of any other cemeteries in the Edinkillie/Forres area so I can hopefully narrow the burial records I need to look at please?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
I wasn't sure if all the cemeteries headstones had been recorded but if so then Elgin library it is.
Yes, they were all supposed to be recorded. If you are in Elgin Library they have a more recent booklet of Forres inscriptions you could look at, just in case the person you are looking for slipped through the net.

Do you happen to know of any other cemeteries in the Edinkillie/Forres area so I can hopefully narrow the burial records I need to look at please?
If you go to http://libindx.moray.gov.uk, click on Advice and Help, then Abbrevations, and scroll down until you get to Headstones, you will see a list of all the burial grounds in Moray. The only other one in the Edinkillie direction is Altyre, but there are very few stones there, and I will be surprised if there are any surviving burial records. You might also check out Dyke and Moy.

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that's a great help.