Author Topic: Heath Lane Hospital, Chester  (Read 979 times)

Offline rfj1001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heath Lane Hospital, Chester
« on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
My GGM died here in 1951 and there is an acknowledgement letter on their headed notepaper to my GF dated 1949 of a donation to a staff Christmas party.

I can't seem to track anything on line for a hospital of that name in Chester/Great Boughton for that period.

It's possible that my GGM was there for all that time but there is nothing on the death cert to suggest that one way or another (she died of heart failure age 91).

Can anyone shed any light on the hospital itself and its function in the early years of the NHS.

Many thanks in advance.

Rob

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Heath Lane Hospital, Chester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
In 1857 Great Boughton Union built a workhouse on a 4 acre site on Heath Lane Great Boughton. Then in 1871 Great Boughton was renamed Tarvin and the workhouse buildings became known as Tarvin House. When the Union ceased the buildings provided care for the elderly in infirmary beds. This could possibly be the place you are looking for.

Offline rfj1001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Heath Lane Hospital, Chester
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ellenmai,

Your suggestion seems too good a match for there to be a better solution. It's strange that the headed notepaper I have is the same as the title of this post yet I can't find that name anywhere else.

I went onto a website that covered the Great Boughton workhouse/Tarvin House and it seems in the mid 20c it was renowned for its christmas parties with the patients; that was what my GF must have contributed to :)

Intriguingly, although my GGM was talked about fondly within the family - no mention was ever made of her being hospitalised for the last few years of her life. That's families for you

Thanks again :)