Author Topic: Marriage of Al(l)ison / Alice Downie, b 1859 Linlithgow - not to Lockhart!Help!  (Read 1481 times)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
After having thought for ages that the Al(l)ison ( Also known as "Alice") Downie, who was born to James Downie and Elizabeth Bowie 10th May 1859 in Linlithgow had married an Andrew Lockhart and lived in Edinburgh, I've checked her out - and now don't think she's the right one.
Through at least 3 Scottish censuses the Mrs Alison LOCKHART, with husband Andrew gives her birthdate as 1854/5, and birthplace as Edinburgh. Those are not 1859 or Linlithgow.

I'd hoped to find the right one in 1901 or 1911 in the Edinburgh area possibly with her children and even possibly mother Elizabeth, but seem to have been unable to find any Al(l)ison to fit. I know in 1881 she was in Lancashire, England, with her married sister, but understood she had returned to Scotland and married.
I can't seem to find a likely spouse, nor can I (understandably if she married) seem to find a death record for the lady concerned. Can anyone help, perhaps?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Al(l)ison / Alice Downie, b 1859 Linlithgow - not to Lockhart!Help!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
I know in 1881 she was in Lancashire, England, with her married sister, but understood she had returned to Scotland and married.

I can't seem to find a likely spouse, nor can I (understandably if she married) seem to find a death record for the lady concerned. Can anyone help, perhaps?

Could you provide details of the 1881 census please.
What was her sisters married name?

ADDED

Is this Alison Downie - is her sister Elizabeth Cummins born c1842 Scotland (bLinlithgow latest)?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27L-1T6G
RG11; Piece: 3750; Folio: 110; Page: 29

Is it possible that Alison Downie born 1860 might be the daughter of either
Elizabeth Downie (1842) or Isabella Downie (1838) and brought up by their parents James & Elizabeth ???

There's an Elizabeth Downie born 1842 Linlithgow on 1851 census Scotland with
parents James occ Shoemaker (journeyman) & Elizabeth, siblings Robert, Isabella 11 (1840) & Hugh

Isabella Morehead Downie Birth 29 Apr 1839
Baptism    5 May 1839 Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland
Father:   James Downie Mother: Elisabeth Bowie

Elizabeth (1842) is not with the family on 1861c Scotland

James Downie 66 & Elizabeth 65 children, Isabella 22, Hugh, John 17,  Allison 1 &
John 8mths gt gd child

What about the marriage certificate of her sister Elizabeth Downie to Thomas Cummins to confirm her father's name and occupation

1864 Bolton Register Office or Registrar Attended
DOWNIE   Elizabeth   
CUMMINGS Thomas   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Al(l)ison / Alice Downie, b 1859 Linlithgow - not to Lockhart!Help!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
Have you looked into the Alison Downie who married James Haldane McDonald in 1883,
she was born 16th April 1861 to Alexander Downie & Catherine Dobson
bp 2 June 1861 Colinton, Midlothian (family search)

1891 Humbie Farm Servents Cottages, Kirkliston, Linlithgowshire (West Lothian)
James Haldane   McDonald      28   1863   Joiner & Cartwright   Yarrow, Selkirkshire, Scotland   
Allison                              29   1862 Colinton, Midlothian, Scotland   
Catherine Dobson                      1885      Greenlaw, Berwickshire, Scotland   
Euphumia Haldane            1887      Greenlaw, Berwickshire, Scotland   
Thomas                                           1889      Kirkliston, Linlithgowshire (West Lothian),

this Alison appears to have died

McDONALD ALISON age 37   1898   Dirleton

and possibly a child

MCDONALD ALISON DOWNIE age 0 1896 Dirleton

1901 c Scotland James is now remarried to Elizabeth H F born 1876

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
After having thought for ages that the Al(l)ison ( Also known as "Alice") Downie, who was born to James Downie and Elizabeth Bowie 10th May 1859 in Linlithgow had married an Andrew Lockhart and lived in Edinburgh, I've checked her out - and now don't think she's the right one.
Do you mean that you are looking for the daughter of James Downie and Elizabeth Bowie, and you now realise she isn't the one who married Andrew Lockhart, or that you are looking for the wife of Andrew Lockhart and you have realised that she isn't the one whose parents were James Downie and Elizabeth Bowie? Those are two rather different quests, and it would be useful to know which one is yours.

There are seven marriges of Ali* Downie between 1875 and 1911 in the Scotland's People index. None of them married an Andrew Lockhart. Nor is there a marriage of an Andrew Lockhart to a Downie with any other given name.

There is a marriage of Andrew Lockhart to Alison Rennie in 1878. This couple may be the one at 3 Dunbar Street, Edinburgh in the 1881 census, with son David, aged 5 months. I note that this Alison is said to have been born in Midlothian, and that she is 27. If that is accurate, it gives a birth year of 1853/1854.

There are four deaths of Ali* Downie, born 1859 plus or minus two years.

Alison Downie or McDonald, aged 37, 1898, Dirleton (birth 1860/1861). This could be the one who married James Haldane McDonald in Whittinghame in 1883.

Alison Downie or Wilson, aged 62, 1921, Gorgie (birth 1858/1859). This could be the one who married Peter Wilson in Edinburgh St Andrew in 1887. If you are trying to find out what became of the daughter of James Downie and Elizabeth Bowie, I reckon she is the least unlikely.

Alice Anderson Downie or Peattie, aged 68, 1929, Colinton (birth 1860/1861). Can't find this marriage.

Janet Alice Downie, aged 91, 1952, Leith (birth 1860/1861). Almost certain to be the daughter of Alexander Downie and Joan Brotherton Roberts, born 21 November 1859, and never married.

I can't seem to find a likely spouse, nor can I (understandably if she married) seem to find a death record
It might be understandable in England, but in Scotland the death of a married women is indexed under both her maiden surname and her husband's surname, and the death certificate should tell you the full names of both her parents, including her mother's maiden surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Forfarian: Yes, I realised that "my" Al(l)ison wasn't the one who married Mr Lockhart, when I found his marriage to Alison Rennie, and also became a little more pernickety about ages. I am trying to find out the married name of my Al(l)ison, because I suspect that her widowed mother may have been with her in 1890s. Thank you for the "selection box" of Alisons to follow up. I shall do so. I have hitherto mostly been concerned with English death certificates, and hadn't realised that Scottish ones offered greater detail. Thank you for that suggestion, also, you have given me a great deal to work with, and I appreciate your effort and time.
Thank you also, Ladyhawk, my Alison was certainly born to the parents I have given for her, I know of the one you suggest, and she is a different lass. You are correct, mine is the one with the Cummins family in 1881, she seemed to have gone to England (Bolton, Lancashire) as her sister had done, into domestic service. Alison was in Bolton with the French family, who also had come down from Scotland, on the previous census.
It was after I realised that Alison was in fact sister-in-law to Thomas Cummins, rather than as described on the census as "servant", that I started wondering about her life after that date, checked out her parentage, and was told that she had returned to Scotland, by a relative I can no longer ask. Elizabeth Downie, the sister who married Thomas Cummins, had the same parents I have quoted for Alison, they are sisters not mother and child. I was hunting for a marriage for Alison, in the hope of finding their mother, also called Elizabeth, in 1901, and / or Alison at that time or 1911.
Thank you both for your efforts and interest. I shall now try to follow up on your suggestions in the hope of eliminating more "possibles", then start sending for certificates when I have a fair guess that it's the right woman.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Alison Downie or Wilson, aged 62, 1921, Gorgie (birth 1858/1859). This could be the one who married Peter Wilson in Edinburgh St Andrew in 1887. If you are trying to find out what became of the daughter of James Downie and Elizabeth Bowie, I reckon she is the least unlikely.

1901 census shows an Alison D Wilson (D for Downie??) - transcribed as 47 b Linlithgow - at 24b Gayfield Square Edinburgh with husband Peter, 38 b Edinburgh.

Children: Lizzie B 22*, Jane K 10, Alison 7, Mary C, 6 & Peter 1, all born Edinburgh.

*This may be a transcription for age 12 - see the 1891 in the next post.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1891 census: 10 No Richd St, Edinburgh

Peter Wilson 28 b Edinburgh
Alice do 24 b L'gow, L'gowsh
Elizabeth do 2 b Edinburgh
Jane do 2mo b Edinburgh
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Curiosity got the better of me .... Bingo!

Alison Wilson, widow of Peter Wilson, baker, died 16 November 1921, 10.15 am, at 16 Murdoch Terrace, Edinburgh, aged 62. Parents James Downie, shoemaker, and Elizabeth Downie, maiden surname Bowie. Cause of death: cerebral haemorrhage, Informant Alison Muddiman, daughter, present.

ThrelfallYorky, You owe me a cup of coffee :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Curiosity got the better of me .... Bingo!

Alison Wilson, widow of Peter Wilson, baker, died 16 November 1921, 10.15 am, at 16 Murdoch Terrace, Edinburgh, aged 62. Parents James Downie, shoemaker, and Elizabeth Downie, maiden surname Bowie. Cause of death: cerebral haemorrhage, Informant Alison Muddiman, daughter, present.

ThrelfallYorky, You owe me a cup of coffee :)

Well done you  :)

Was just about to post this

WILSON   JANE KIGGIE   1891   Newington

1891 Jane Kiggie Wilson f Peter m Alice Downie
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTFJ-39N