Author Topic: Marriage of Al(l)ison / Alice Downie, b 1859 Linlithgow - not to Lockhart!Help!  (Read 1479 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oh, brilliant, brilliant, you are a wonderful, genius person, Forfarian! I only wish I could pour you gallons of refreshing coffee - So part of what I had was correct - she was married and in Edinburgh - but as avm228 has so kindly provided the content of a 1901  and 1891 census, (thank you, too) then she must not have had her mother Elizabeth with her at that point. However, that's not too worrying, when I looked at my files, Elizabeth-the-Mum died in 1901, so she may actually have died before the census date, I must look up the exact date of the census.
Ladyhawk, also, my gratitude to you for your findings and efforts. I'd noted all your replies earlier, written myself a little list to check out, then had to go to a meeting, and only now been able to look again, and you've all done so well. I feel so dim that I couldn't get there alone ... mind you I was feeling dim enough when I looked properly, and realised that Alison had not been the "right" wife for Mr Lockhart at all.
It is a lesson to look carefully, and not to accept what seems to fit, without checking everything most thoroughly. Thank you all.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)