Author Topic: Can other's view my searches  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Freya69

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can other's view my searches
« on: Wednesday 17 May 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
When I do a search on Ancestry, can other people see what I have searched for? If so, can I stop others seeing my searches?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Can other's view my searches
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

If you are a public tree then people can see recently added content.

You can make your tree private http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/legal/PrivacyForYourFamilyTree

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
I'm sure ancestry admin would be able to or on a computer with shared access (delete history, sign out after use to prevent) then it would be traceable but not otherwise I believe.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
I would expect that the only way others might be able to follow who/what you were searching might be if you were using an account that another shared - a family member, for example - and they looked through the search history. Why does that worry you? A private tree would be private, as *Sandra* says, and if it's your solo account, as Meelystar says, possibly Admin, for some reason, may, but ...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
I think it is to do with 'member connect' .  If you search on a person who is in another person's tree then ancestry indicate this on that other person's 'member connect' area of the home page.  I think it applies to both private and public member trees and I don't think it is possible to opt out of the fact that you have searched for info on a particular person not to be notified to anyone else who has that person in their tree.

Obviously it is only displayed to other people if they have the 'member connect' customized on their home page.

I think.  Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 May 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
I thought it only applied to public trees? I wonder if things might appear on hints however so a source for joe bloggs saved to your joe bloggs on your tree might then appear as a hint to someone else particularly if you have some sources in common already for your respective joe bloggs.

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
I suspect the way to get out of this might be to set up another tree or add an additional person but call then a somewhat funky name, boe jloggs for example.  I can't see much need for this extreme cloak and dagger I hasten to add - perhaps if there was a suspect second family.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 May 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
I can't see much need for this extreme cloak and dagger I hasten to add - perhaps if there was a suspect second family.

Agree completely as it could be a 'look-up' for anyone whether same forenames/surnames or not  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mogwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 May 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
I agree with Pheno above, I think it's related to 'member connect'.  I have had this on my own home page, whereby I've been notified that someone I never heard of has made a search on the same name that I searched; don't think it necessarily has to be someone with a tree, but I could be wrong about that.  I'm not best pleased to have Ancestry tracking my every move in this way, but can't find if it's possible to stop it from happening.