Author Topic: Whittaker Fred and Schofield James  (Read 2384 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whittaker Fred and Schofield James
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 May 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
I don't understand about the various battalions, but I have checked my book on the Oldham Pals, 24th Battalion The Manchester Regiment and although there is a Cpl Fred Whittaker it isn't this one.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Julienne, where did you get the 2 numbers from?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
And may I add, which man was supposed to have a number between these two?  The only service number I have seen in these two ever more confusing threads is 9031 which belonged to James Schofield whose record i have cited.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 May 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
His war nos were 9031 and 486926

Max,

On the record you found, James Schofield is 486926 - Manchester Regiment. That number is written over a scribbled one which could be 9031 - difficult to see. Would that have been his number when he was in the 3rd BT R... Regiment which he joined earlier?

Heywood

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 May 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
While the selection of a quote about service numbers and the 17th Battalion is correct as far as it goes, it should be understood that until 1920 service numbers were not unique and could be and were duplicated in different battalions, see this passage from the same source http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/duplicate-numbers.html so a service number on its own does not specifically identify a man's battalion. 
By way of illustration, a quick totally random search of Manchester Regiment medal cards at the National Archives throws up three men with the number 8050 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=manchester%20regiment&_ep=medal%20card&_or1=8050&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1900&_st=adv

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Heywood - not quite.  When he joined the regular army in 1903, he was already serving in the 3rd Battalion Royal Lancashire Regiment (it looks like) which, like all 3rd Battalions of the time, was a militia battalion ie part time  The 9031 number was allocated as a Manchester Regiment number, his medal card is much more readable.  See http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=manchester%20regiment&_ep=medal%20card&_or1=8050&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1900&_st=adv  paragraph headed "In times of need" his number fits exactly in between Jan 03 and May 04 - he joined in Aug 03.

Thus he was 9031 from joining up in 1903 (another illustration here of duplication!!) and was given the other longer number when he transferred in 1918 to the Labour Corps.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
From my lay perspective, I thought that's what I meant, Max  :) although I understand now that they are two Manchester Regiment numbers and not the previous Battalion.

However, thankfully you have solved one of Julienne's queries. Perhaps the army record for Fred will never turn up! Heather has found his parents so quite a good result.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 May 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Julienne noticed when she (presumably) visited the site earlier today?

I would go further and say (again) that there is no surviving service record that can be identified as belonging to a Fred Whittaker with a father called Joe Greenhalgh Whittaker.  As 70% of Great War records were destroyed by bombing in the second war, it is unsurprising.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 May 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
For my own interest, if somebody died a few months after being discharged on health grounds, should they have a CW Grave?