Author Topic: Caroline Windett  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Elan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Windett
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 May 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
OH MY GIDDY AUNT!!! You are all AMAZING! ;D ;D ;D
Thank you so so much for all your finds I will plug away at this again in the weekend, what a shame I have to work today I could sit here for the whole day  :'(
I really appreciate all of your help.
 :) :) :)
Carroll,Newman,Carter,Higgins,BentleyMadsen,Meldrum,lay,Butters,Henderson,Stevenson

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 May 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that the likely father of Agnes is Sir Jacob Astley, Bart. Owned estates in Norfolk and Earsdon, Northumberland (the locations of the two baptisms) .
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 May 17 05:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Shaun J that makes abit of sense as the family story tale is that a Lord Astley was the father of Agnes
Carroll,Newman,Carter,Higgins,BentleyMadsen,Meldrum,lay,Butters,Henderson,Stevenson

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 May 17 05:44 BST (UK) »
Well done everyone.

As I said earlier, Jacob Astley 1797, Son of Hester may be the be the culprit?

I tried to find him earlier in 1841 Census with little luck, hoping Agnes may be in the Household!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 May 17 07:22 BST (UK) »
Sir Jacob Astley was created Lord Hastings around the time of the 1841 census.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 May 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
Lord Hastings is in Cavendish Square, London in the 1841 census, with Lady Astley and 11 servants. No sign of Agnes there.

Offline Elan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 May 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
Agnes Agnes where are you?

Offline Elan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 May 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons further, the other family story is that Caroline was locked in a hunting lodge when found pregnant and a Baron Windett whom haled from Germany b abt 1770 recused her. NOW - remember this is a tale I have poohed poohed. However did the same for a Lord Astley.  ??? ??? ???

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 May 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
What an interesting thread!

If you google Jacob Astley Baron Hastings among the hits is a Blogspot on Landed Families of Britain and Ireland.It includes biographies of all the Astleys. Sir Jacob (1797 - 1859) is described thus:

" He was evidently of a hasty temper and willing to defend his honour with violence: as late as the 1850's he threatened to horsewhip the editor of a local paper". He married in 1819 but was separated in about 1826 after his wife eloped with a Capt Garth - it states he attempted to sue Capt Garth but was only awarded 1 shilling after evidence emerged at the trial re his own activities.

I have had a look at the Bishop of Durham's Transcripts for Earsdon Parish and can see no baptism recorded there for Agnes. Wonder what the source is of the record on family search?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)