Author Topic: Binnie - Meldrum  (Read 1228 times)

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Binnie - Meldrum
« on: Thursday 18 May 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking for info on Alexander Binnie and Isabella Grant.
He b 1826 Mildren then moved to Aberdeen. A Tailor.
She b 1834 Rosemarkie.
They had 11 children John Alexander coming to Australia late 1890's.
John M Anne Meldrum whose parents were James Meldrum and Catherine Wildgoose.
Julienne Schofield

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Binnie - Meldrum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
Have you seen
- their baptism records?
- their marriage certificate?
- did they die in Scotland, and if so have you seen their death certificates?
- have you found them in all the relevant censuses?
- what were the names and DoBs of the 11 children?

If we can establish exactly what you already have, we can then work on getting more information without duplicating what you have already done.

I see that in the birth indexes the name is sometimes spelled Binnay. In the 1861 census, at Philorth Cottage, Fraserburgh are Alexander Binnay, 35, master gardener, born Belhelvie; wife Isabella, 24, born Rosemarkie; daughter Jane A, 4, born Aberdeen Old Machar; son John A, 2, born Ordiquhill; son William James, 10 months, born Fraserburgh; and sister-in-law Catherine Grant, 16, born Rosemarkie.

I am not seeing them in the 1881 census in Aberdeenshire, other than a 16-year-old George Binnie, born Fraserburgh, a farm servant in Tarves, who might be their son.

Where did you find 'Mildren'? And where did you find a record of Alexander as a tailor?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I spent a day at Aberdeen History Society in 2000 and got all Johns siblings and some marriages.
John Alexander Binnay  Birth states he was born 5 aug 1858 in Ordiquill Banff his f Alexander Binnay b Mildren and Isabella Grant.
John arrived in the Port of Melbourne on the Australasian in 1892 He m in 1882 in new byth and of Woodland House Banchory To Anne Meldrum ( I transcribed marriage certificate) Anne and 3 siblings arrived in Adelaide in 1897 on the Orizaba.
Alexander was b Mildren Belhevie reg in Foveram. Isabella b 7 oct 1835 in Rosemarkie.
Yes I have all their children.
I also have all census records. Alexander was a Master Gardner it was John Grant who was a Tailor. they moved to Aberdeen also. They all died in Aberdeen, but have not seen their certificates.
1871 and 1881 census they were at 45 Don St Aberdeen.
George is their son he m Margaret Meldrum a sister to my ggrandmother.
Thanks Julienne

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 17 07:04 BST (UK) »
Alexander was b Mildren Belhevie

From the map and the 1841 Census possibly MILLDEN Belhelvie -

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=57.2385&lon=-2.0650&layers=1&b=1

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thank You

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 May 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Alexander was b Mildren Belhevie
From the map and the 1841 Census possibly MILLDEN Belhelvie -
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=57.2385&lon=-2.0650&layers=1&b=1
Ah, that makes more sense. I've never heard of a place called Mildren and I was wondering if it was a garbled version of Meldrum. There are of course dozens of places called Millden all over the country.

Alexander was b Mildren Belhevie reg in Foveram
This is a bit odd, because Foveran and Belhelvie are mutually exclusive - they are two neighbouring parishes. I see that the IGI listing of Alexander's baptism is 'community contributed' and that there is no corresponding listing in the index at Scotland's People. Where did this bit of information come from? Why would he have been 'registered' in Foveran if he was born in Belhelvie?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Kirkyard of St Machar
Stone B171
Isabella Grant  26 Dec 1906
Alexander Binnie 26 Jan 1909
Jane Binnie 6 July 1934
William Binnie 11 Nov 1934
Helen Watt  n. d.
http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php

There is a death for a Jane Alexander Binnie , age 77 , 1934 Aberdeen Northern District.

Also death William Binnie . age 74 , 1934 , Aberdeen Northern District.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 May 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
Thank You for these much appreciated.
I either transcribed Alexanders birth in Aberdeen or got from familysearch Im not sure was a long time ago.
Julienne

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 May 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
I either transcribed Alexanders birth in Aberdeen or got from familysearch Im not sure was a long time ago.
Golden rule No 1. Never trust anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document. So be wary of anything found on Familysearch (and Ancestry, Findmypast, MyHeritage etc etc) - use them as finding aids, not as definitive sources.