Author Topic: Militia at Calverley  (Read 830 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Militia at Calverley
« on: Thursday 18 May 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My 2x gt grandfather William Bateman, a widower, married Ann Waddington in July 1855, at Calverley's St Wilfred's Church.  I have now found another record (on Ancestry) for that marriage, with William seemingly a private in the local militia.  He was a Bradford lad, and I'd had no idea that he'd ever been involved with a military organisation, either there or in Calverley (it was always a puzzle to me that the couple did not marry in Bradford, where they both resided).  His occupation was always listed in censuses as 'waggoner', 'drayman' or 'carter'. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of any info I can glean on militia in that area, or know anything about how these things worked (how long men served and what it entailed). 

Any information would be most welcome,

Christine

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Militia at Calverley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
1855 07 16    BATEMAN    William    28    Widower    Labourer    Calverley Moor                                father    John Bateman    fathers occupation Collier         witness Ann Mann    CE127/G/216
     WADDINGTON    Ann    30    Widow father   John Nolan fathers occupation   Weaver    witness John Kirk
The location (Calverley Moor) was within the Calverley parish. (Currently Thornbury)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian.
I didn't know that Calverley Moor was so close to Bradford.   That explains a thing or two.  William had previously been married to Ann's sister Hannah Nowlan, who had died.  The militia angle is something I discovered today.

Christine

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Christine: You mentioned on a previous post regarding the South Bradford Local History Alliance, http://www.sblha.com/ also have a look at Calverley website www.calverley.info.
Both linked through the database which reveals a wealth of records.
 Brian

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Soldiers of the mid 18th to early 19th Centuries were kept on as soldiers until they were 'Worn out and unable to carry out duties'
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 May 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Something else to think about, a barracks was completed 1844 at Calverley Moor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford
 Regards Brian