Author Topic: William Harr(e)y = Isabell Trethewy  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Harr(e)y = Isabell Trethewy
« on: Friday 19 May 17 04:51 BST (UK) »
I am revisiting my search for elusive ancestors.

My William Harr(e)y married Isabell Trethewy April 1797 St Stephen in Brannel.
I am having difficulty in identifying the groom with certainty.Without this it is difficult to be sure of earlier generations.

I now believe that William may have been the illegitimate s/o Philippa Lark . He was baptised 17 Nov 1771 St Mewan.(as William Lark ).Philippa may have come from St Ewe.
Philippa Lark married Nicholas Harry 3 March 1772 St Mewan and I speculate that William Lark may have become William Harry.

I am trying to identify Nicholas Harry accurately so that I can identify earlier generations.

Once I am certain that I have identified William Lark/Harry correctly , it then becomes necessary to identify Nicholas Harry.

Witnesses at the Harry/Trethewy marriage were George Truscott and Philip Trethewy.

I will be grateful for assistance.
I am hoping fresh eyes might help solve this.

With thanks.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Harr(e)y = Isabell Trethewy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
I am adding a little more information to my original inquiry.
Whilst I have not been able to prove that William Lark became William Harry , I have discovered another Harry/Lark connection.
Another William Harry 1810-1853 married Kitty Bullon 1815-1882 in St Stephen in Brannel 1834.
He was a s/o William Lark/Harry and Isabell Trethewy.
Kitty married a second time 1856 at St Austell to Richard Seccombe Lark.

I am convinced that Nicholas Harry who married Philippa Lark 1772 St Mewan was the biological father of William Lark/Harry.

To add weight to my assumption that my direct line continues back through Nicholas Harry , I am finding that Nicholas is a name often repeated through the generations.

I need to find the parentage of Nicholas Harry who married Philippa Lark.
He was a sojourner when they married at St Mewan. I have looked at adjacent parishes.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
there's a possible baptism in Probus 13 March 1746 for Nicholas, son of Joan Harry.
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=3638728

Also a bastardy bond, naming the father
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=bastardy&id=4200

Possible marriage for Joan Harry to Charles Francis 22 May 1756 in St Mewan
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NFLV-RV3
one of the witnesses is John Collett, same name as one of the witnesses to the marriage of Nicholas. But he witnessed lots of marriages, so may be the parish clerk. Images are not on FamilySearch to check signatures.

Burial for Joan Francis 15 March 1760 in St Mewan

The transcription of the banns & of the marriage on the opc database show Nicholas as otp. 

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Much appreciated Osprey.
I will look at this closely hoping I can make a connection.
I am assuming that the locations under consideration are all feasible .

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
St Mewan is to the east of St Stephen in Brannel, Ladock is to the west of St Stephen, with Probus to the south of Ladock.

http://www.opc-cornwall.org/MAPS/parish_map.pdf

http://cornish-forefathers.co.uk/cornish_parishes.php
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
osprey
I am concluding that Nicholas Harry bpt 13 Mar 1746 Probus was a base child of Joan Harry.
The Bond referred to in earlier postings reveals that his acknowledged father was Anthony Jeffrey/Clarke born Probus 1726.
Joan Harry appears to have married 1756 St Mewan , Charles Francis , whilst Anthony Jeffrey/Clarke appears to have married Anne James 1759 Mevagissey.
The reason for the name change Jeffrey to Clarke is unclear.but his father Richard can be identified as Jeffrey alias Clarke. He was married to Ann Snell.
I am now looking for the parentage of Joan Harry.

Thank you for  helping me advance my research.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
there was a Stephen Harry(s) baptising children in St Mewan who had a Jane or Jone baptised 22 June 1729. You could ask the opc to check the record as the ones from that time are not on FamilySearch

http://www.opc-cornwall.org/Par_new/l_m/mewan_st.php

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you osprey.
I will try and contact the OPC.
Much appreciated.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 17 02:38 BST (UK) »
Just noticed a burial St Mewan 19 Aug 1729 for Jone Harrys d/o Stephen so can't be her.