Author Topic: Royal marines marriage protocol 1870s  (Read 780 times)

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal marines marriage protocol 1870s
« on: Friday 19 May 17 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found a copy of a letter my great great grandfather William Holland wrote to his commanding officer in 1879 requesting permission to marry an Annie Smith. Is this something all members of the forces would have been expected to do at that time. Also, can anyone give me any idea how the couple would have lived in the forces after the wedding, for example would they have married quarters in those days or would the wife have stayed at home?
Any help would be much appreciated as always
Thanks
Paul

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal marines marriage protocol 1870s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 May 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
In the Armed Forces  permission of ones Commanding Officer was required for the wife to be taken on strength, in other words, to qualify for allowances, and accommodation where available etc. Marriages without consent were not recognised.

Permission required for other ranks under the age of  21, and officers under 25, continued  well into the twentieth century, I remember my husband having to obtain permission.

You may find it interesting to look at the following website, although primarily Army, it will give you an insight into service life for families.

archhistory.co.uk

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 17 10:05 BST (UK) »
Another history, again army based, is Mr Thomas Atkins, particularly the chapter on Mrs Atkins https://archive.org/details/cihm_05361.  Also useful is http://www.thesocialhistorian.com/women-and-the-victorian-regiment/ which highlights the point that at that time there was a quota limiting the number of soldiers with permission to marry whose whose wives would then be borne on the strength. 
The Royal Navy (including the Royal Marines), no doubt had their own rules, can't find a specific reference to the 1880s but this earlier one is perhaps of interest.http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/women_nelson_navy_01.shtml  Google throws up a lot to look at.

Rules changed over the years as Jebber (and I) could testify!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies Jebber and maxD. Just picked them up so I'll have a look at the suggested websites later.

Thanks for your help
Paul