Author Topic: Want death certificates from Canada and USA  (Read 1204 times)

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Want death certificates from Canada and USA
« on: Friday 19 May 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
I would like to buy some death certificates for my family tree but they can only be bought online in Canada and USA with a credit card.  I don't have or need a credit card so would have to send requests by snailmail with a cheque.  You'd have thought PayPal would be acceptable nowadays wouldn't you?

Also, you have to provide tons of ID, etc. before you can even apply.  In England you can buy anyone's death certificate with NO questions asked because they are supposed to be a public record.

Does this annoy anyone else?

Susan Howard

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Want death certificates from Canada and USA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 May 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
It really varies by state in the US as to what is required as far as identification.  I can understand states not making death or divorce records available to all immediately, as the information might embarrass surviving family members, but some of the waiting periods do seem excessive to me. 

I think the vast majority of adults in the US have a credit card, so lacking one doesn't seem to be a common problem in my experience.

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 17 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I stopped using mine because I rarely needed it.  Might have to buy one and make sure I use it occasionally to keep it from being cancelled.

Susan

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
In the US, you can go to a store and purchase a prepaid Visa Card or a prepaid Master Card, and I hope they have the same thing in the UK.

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks knort33, that's a good idea.  I had never heard of them but a quick Google showed they are available in the UK.

Regards

Susan

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 May 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

I live in the UK and have bought many death certificates from different states in the US without providing lots of ID. In some cases I just emailed the Town Clerk giving the details of the person I am looking for and then often they would email back with most of the details on the certificate. I did have to pay for some with a credit card but I have also used US postal orders. I know this is slower but the certificates are often cheaper and service is quick. Luckily I travel to the US quite frequently so stock up on postal orders there.

I have found Town Clerks incredibly helpful.

I believe we are very lucky here in the UK. I am from NZ and both NZ and Australia are very hot on privacy so getting more recent certificates is just about impossible.
Good luck with the pre-paid Master Card. Many people use them when they travel. I believe Thomas Cook may do them.

Pam

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 May 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kentishkiwi for this useful information.

Did you have to pay the Town Clerk before they gave the details?

Who exactly is the Town Clerk (forgive my ignorance)?

Susan

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 May 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

In some cases I didn't have to pay for the information but I often bought the certificate afterwards anyway. I may just have been lucky. The town clerks are the official keeper of municipal records - licences, permits, recording various documents , vital statistics, supervision of cemeteries and probably lots of other responsibilities.

Luckily most of my searches have been in small towns where I have also found the local librarians extremely helpful and have had had death notices and obituary notices sent through for nothing.

Pam

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 May 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
I have found librarians in particular go out of their way to help, often searching microfilms, photocopying records and not charging anything for the trouble they go to.

In some cemeteries I have been to and couldn't locate graves even with the plot numbers, I have phoned the office and they have guided me over the phone to the grave - take the first turning by the chapel, three rows up, second grave along - saving a lot of searching!

Susan