Author Topic: Amusing description of Risca  (Read 1291 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing description of Risca
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
I've seen plenty of Trees like that.
Eg; born Halifax, Nova Scotia instead of Yorkshire.
I have the opposite. In 1861 the enumerator corrected the birthplace of 3 children to say Yorkshire!

Can't complain about Ancestry in this case.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing description of Risca
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 May 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
 ;D "Off the coast of Kent"..... well, given their advertising campaigns for Rugby World Cup events that rather serves them right.

Having lately returned to "my Motherland" after 12 years exile in the Land of The Dragon, I think I can safely say that only people who have actually visited Risca know where it is precisely.

Mind you, they do have a jolly good library there and a pretty park. AND a very popular curry house!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.