Author Topic: Marriage certificates  (Read 258 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Marriage certificates
« on: Friday 19 May 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
 I want a  copy of a marriage certificate, but would prefer a copy of the original entry with signatures rather than a  typed copy.

Which is the best  place to use, I can`t seem to find much info on it.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 May 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
To get a copy of the original you will have to contact the Register Office in the Registration District, but not all offices have the facility to photocopy the original.

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 May 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
I asked especially for a photocopied version on one occasion, rather than a transcribed one, and although I was told it was a rather unusual request, they agreed, and it was actually far more useful than a simply transcribed one - the style of signatures, etc. assisted with linking up with other things. I was very grateful for the registration office for doing that. It seems the answer is - "shop local"
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 May 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
Sunderland local Register Office have always provided me with photocopies of the original marriage certificate, with the original signatures.
This is what the Sunderland Registrars say;
"With all family history marriage applications we try to offer a photocopy of the original entry onto a certificate, the only time that this is not possible is if the entry has an error/correction in it which means we have to handwrite the certificate."

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
It`s in Cheshire , and the marriage took place in Birkenhead.
Cheshire BMD shows the marriage as  Cheshire Wirral  , but it`s not in the online ordering list.
BMD has it as Birkenhead,

Not much info  on the Wirral site, so I think I`ll have to give them a ring.
Thanks.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)