Author Topic: Looking for the native place of John Doolan abt. 1832-1899  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the native place of John Doolan abt. 1832-1899
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 18 01:59 BST (UK) »
Okay ... so you have done your Australian research which reveals a marriage in 1853 and probably the actual date. As it was a marriage by licence then the licence itself will hold other information on his parents as well as where Joseph and Jane were living. (even if it simply says 'Of this Parish').

NSW BDM reveals 14 births to a Joseph & Jane Lewis over 50 years (11 at Bathurst) The one that caught my eye was 'Mary A Lewis' born 1854. I would pay for a transcription to obtain the actual birth date to compare with the known parents marriage date.

So you already have the possible names of her parents. I have no reason to doubt that information unless she was intentionally trying to escape Ireland. So with that I'd be placing a posting on these Roots Chat pages (Ireland) looking for marriage information for them. Also comment that your Jane has a possible birth place and date of Enniskillen abt 1832 (realise that it is in Northern Ireland). Being Nothern Ireland there is a better chance to find her birth as well as her parents marriage in an Anglican Parish Register. I wish I knew more on finding Irish records.

Good Luck

Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 18 03:41 BST (UK) »
Here is a live link to the 1852 passenger list for the David McIver, it is readily and freely available online from the NSW State Archives.

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4790&ship=David%20McIver

Single females include a Mary Doolan (page 9),Jane Noble (page 10)
Single males include a William Doolan and a John Doolan (page 12)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 April 18 04:03 BST (UK) »

NSW BDM reveals 14 births to a Joseph & Jane Lewis over 50 years (11 at Bathurst) The one that caught my eye was 'Mary A Lewis' born 1854. I would pay for a transcription to obtain the actual birth date to compare with the known parents marriage date......

I think you may find that Mary A Lewis was born 25 May 1854 and baptised C of E, in September 1854.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHV-T26  This info would seem to support the Early Church Record indexed at NSW BDM for the baptism of Mary A LEWIS, in 1854, with parents as Joseph and Jane (Volume 40, line 3382.)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Jane Noble Parents
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 April 18 05:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I have the marriage transcription of Jane Noble and Joseph Lewis.  The register is Presbyterian Marriages (Early Church Records)  Place of marriage Sydney.  States Groom is a Bachelor, (Member of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland)  place of residence Sydney,  states same for Jane, spinster, residence Sydney.

Looks like she was in Sydney for a year before her marriage, 25/5/1853,  because the passengers on the "David Mciver"  weren't released from quarantine until 19/05/1852.

I also have a copy of her death cert.  and once again states no parents grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I tried to find the Presbyterian Church of Scotland for that date,  no luck, so many brick walls.

The parents of Joseph Lewis were both convicts,  more brick walls.

it is so frustrating because I have all these leads, just enough to keep me searching.

I agree with you regarding Irish Records so hard to search for that era, especially as Ireland was in so much turmoil,  One thought I had that maybe her parents died in the Potato Famine?

Once again thank you, I will keep plugging away.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 April 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
COE was the Church of England, became COI Church of Ireland, some records differ so look for both.
In a site called Dublin City Records, now called Irish Genealogy they have COI/CO records.
I saw this, it may have been transcribed from Martha. to Matilda.
Name JANE NOBLE
Date of Birth 6 December 1831
Address N/R
Father JOHN NOBLE
Mother MATILDA

on this link point to the first Jane Noble, another screen will appear, this states the date of Baptism.
19th December.
Also it states..........Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. PETER
This link shows where the Church is.................

https://www.bing.com/search?q=parish%2Fchurch%2Fcongregation+-+st.+peter+dublin+&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=parish%2Fchurch%2Fcongregation+-+st.+peter+dublin+&sc=0-46&sk=&cvid=E36DBCE9D1774C33AC72DB8D1E39FFA2

You would have to write to St Peters and ask them for a copy of the Baptism page to see exactly the name of the mother.
I have checked other sites to see if there was an image, sorry none showing.
Maggsie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 April 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Other thread with the same information
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792049.0

This is why it is best to stick to one thread.

Offline Garyjm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 May 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
John Doolan together with sister Mary and brother William sailed on the David Mciver from Plymouth December 1851. Williams immigration records show parents as John and Bridget Doolan from Turbid Tipperary. Mary’s records show Cahir County Tipperary. Trying to find any details on the parents John and Bridget Doolan and details of son John Doolan baptism and birth.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 May 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
Garyjm, welcome to RootsChat.
As you know that Mary and William Doolan came from Tipperary, I suggest you start a new topic on the County Tipperary board. Include a link to this thread in your opening post so that people who reply know what information has already been found.
When you've done that, add a post to this thread with a link to your topic on the Tipperary board.
Cowban