Author Topic: Looking for the native place of John Doolan abt. 1832-1899  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
Looking for the native place of John Doolan abt. 1832-1899
« on: Saturday 20 May 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
I am chasing the family line of my cousins g/grandfather "John Doolan". From his death record he was born abt 1831. Died 1899 Glen Innes NSW Australia.

I have found an Assisted Immigrant record of a John Doolan who arrived on the David McIver 1852 aged 20 which reveals a birth year of 1832 so it is likely to be him. He arrived with a brother and sister "Mary" aged 18. Unfortunately the NSW Records Office has a broken link so I cannot see the actual page itself. I do know he was catholic and with a name like Doolan I expect he will be Irish.

My research into the ship reveals it loaded at Liverpool as well as Plymouth where it left 31 Dec 1851 with 4 cabin passengers and 344 Govt. Emigrants in steerage.

So can anybody advise me if I can find the embarkation records for the ship at Liverpool and Plymouth? I am hoping to find his place of birth or native place listed before I start searching for Baptism records.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Rob

Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the native place of John Doolan abt. 1832-1899
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
John Doolan, 20yrs,
Arrived NSW 19 May 1852, on the ship David Maciver
Origin, Tubbrid, County Tipperary, Ireland.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 May 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
  "I am chasing the family line of my cousins g/grandfather "John Doolan". From his death record he was born abt 1831. Died 1899 Glen Innes NSW Australia."

The death certificate should ask for father's name and occupation, mother's name, years in the colony, marital history (marriages, spouse's name, date and place of marriage), childrens' names.

Can you please account for this information on the death certificate you are seeing.

What causes you to believe that John DOOLAN was born outside Australia?

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 May 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was reading the previous thread about the Doolan's.
I did post a reply.
Just seen this new posting.
This is a copy of what I saw........
DOOLAN   William   A 16   1852   24   Tubbrid   John / Bridget   living in Tubrid   None . R.C.      {also John,20}   Ship =   David McIver
Tubbrid is south of Cahir.
Maggsie

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 June 17 02:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply but I'm only getting my computer back to some form of normal after installing WIN10.
Trying to get my head back into this thread regarding Doolans which is my cousins fathers line.

wivenhoe
I haven't purchased a copy of this death certificate as it is not my direct family line but I can quote NSW BDM 13127/1899. I just might have to if things fail to fall into place soon.
It may or may not prove that he was the John Doolan that arrived on the David McIver 1852 with Mary & William.
Yes I know that there were a number of Doolans already in Australia however NSW BDM reveals no records of the birth of a John Doolan prior to 1852. There were 5 Doolan marriages prior to 1852.
This indicates that the John Doolan of the David McIver is more likely to be correct.

Both Libby9 and Maggsie has probably accessed the NSW State Records site for that data ... Thank You!
They reveal the shipping record lists him as of  "Tubbrid, County Tipperary, Ireland". I'm now left with the links provided by Sinann which are rather interesting. When I have time I'll try studying them.

Many thanks
Regards Rob

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 18 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just come across your post,  I am wondering if you ever found any info on the David Mciver,   that arrived in NSW 09/04/1852.

My g grandmother Jane Noble, was also on that ship and I have been looking for embarkation lists from Liverpool or Plymouth?  she also was Irish, age 20, both parents deceased I think? have not yet been able to trace them as all her certificates just state no parents.

She grew up in Bathurst NSW had 16 children all lived, she died in 1912 so had a good long life here in Australia.
I live in Queensland Australia so have found research difficult,  would appreciate any help if possible.  Thanking you

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
sasarina
We need to confirm a few things first
Jane Noble ... is that he maiden name or married name.
Have you searched NSW BDM for the births of her 16 children?
If so what surname??
Rob

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,  Thanks for the reply.
Jane Noble is her maiden name,  Lewis is her married name, she married Joseph Lewis in 1853 in Paddington NSW. by special licence,  (the lady from BDM transcriptions said someone must have had money to apply for a special licence) 
 I only have the birth cert. for my grandmother Susannah Lewis, who was born in 1865 Fitzgerald's Valley (near Bathurst). All these certificates state no parents which could confirm at least that this Jane Noble on the "David Mciver" could be the correct one.

I have a passenger list from the "David Mciver" states she came from Dublin, age 20, COE could read and write,  parents John and Martha both deceased.  I have not been able to find any birth details for her only a non confirmed entry in a book on Fitzgeralds Valley that she was born in Enniskillen abt 1832.

I only have looked at the freebies for Ireland and cannot find any John and Martha Noble?

Kind Regards