Author Topic: Thomas Holmes b c 1825  (Read 5670 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Holmes b c 1825
« on: Saturday 20 May 17 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am investigating the family of Brice Henry (1773-1862) and Mary Nelson (1772-1850) of Shanrod Co Down. Although I am about to ask about a Holmes family I will list the Henry family. Bryce Henry born 1802 was my 3x gt grandfather.

James Henry      b c1798   d 1849       m Mary Nelson of Knockgorm.
Agnes Henry      b c1801
Bryce Henry      b c1802    d 1879 Dunsilly    m Eliza Ewing
Revd John Henry    b 1807   d 1885   m Eliza Porter or a unnamed daughter of Rev Sam Edgar.
Nelson Henry      b c1810   d 1881   m Margaret
Mary Henry      b c1813
Thomas Henry   b c 1815   d 1901      m Mary Jane Kirkpatrick
Isaac Henry      b c 1817   d 1884      m Mary Mulligan

James Henry, grandson of Revd John Henry originally of Benraw, married a Mary Holmes, daughter of Thomas Holmes in 1884. James Henry died in Craigantlet and I discovered a Bryce Holmes in a neighbouring property. Further searching showed Thomas Holmes moved to Craigantlet  in 1887.

Thomas Holmes and his wife Mary Jane McElroy who married 4 Nov 1853 Banbridge had among other sons; James Nelson Holmes b 1870, Isaac Holmes b 1872 and Brice Holmes born 1876.

To me that suggests that Thomas Holmes , who was born c1825 and died 1896 was related to the Henry family as listed. Alternatively it was his wife who was related. I would like to know if anyone has any information on the Holmes family that might help confirm this.

Brice Henry born 1773 was the son of James Henry (1736) and Mary Kennedy. A brother John Henry born c1766 who died 1844 married Agnes Nelson of Knockgorm. Agnes was likely a sister of the younger Mary Nelson who married Brice's son James Henry. As far as I know this couple had no children.

I only know of one other sibling, a brother Thomas but there were very likely others one of whom who could be an ancestor of Thomas Holmes or Mary Jane McElroy.

???

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Holmes b c 1825
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
you may them all but just in case
Locations in Co Down
Craigantlet townland Newtownards Civil Parish
Banbridge in Ballyvally townland;Seapatrick civil parish
Benraw townland in Drumgooland civil parish further south
Knockgorm townland Garvaghy civil parish  3km SW of Garvaghy villag
Shanrod townland Garvaghy civil parish 3km S of Garvaghy villag

from http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/
Miss   Agnes   HENRY   .   Garvaghy   daughter of James Henry ; married James Coburn 14 Jan 1854   CR
Brice   HENRY   .   Seapatrick   son of James Henry ; married Mary Jane Kelly 17 Nov 1856   CR
James   HENRY   .   Garvaghy   of Knockgorm; d. 28 Nov 1845 aged 47; husband of Mary; buried Kilkinamurry Presbyterian graveyard; willprobated 1846   MIs; IIW V4 p60
John   HENRY   .   Garvaghy   of Shanrod; died 27 Sep 1844 aged 78; husband of Agnes who died 27 May 1828 aged 44; buried Garvaghy parish graveyard   MIs
HOLEMS   .   .   see under Holmes   .
Thomas HOLENS   .   Garvaghy   farmed over one acre so granted a spinning wheel premium & the right to grow flax in 1796   Irish Flax Growers list
Mrs.   Elizabeth   HOLMES   .   Seapatrick   regd. Banbridge; daughter of James Harpur; a widow; married Benjamin Davis 18 Feb 1860   CR
Robert   HOLMES   .   Garvaghy   of Shanrod; will probated in 1839; executor was B. Henny of Shanrod

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/garvaghy-parish.php#.WSHg91KZMwR
Henry, Brice Townland: Shanrod Year: 1834
Henry, James Townland: Knockgorm Year: 1834
Henry, John Townland: Shanrod Year: 1834
Holmes, John-Townland: Shanrod Year: 1834-Garvaghy-Down-
Holmes, Robert-Townland: Shanrod Year: 1834-Garvaghy-Down-
McIlroy, Alexr. Townland: Kilkinamurry Year: 1834
McIlroy, John Townland: Garvaghy Year: 1834
McIlroy, John Townland: Kilkinamurry Year: 1834
Neilson, Ebenezer Townland: Knockgorm Year: 1834
Neilson, John Townland: Kilkinamurry Year: 1834
Nelson, Eben. Townland: Knockgorm Year: 1834
Nelson, James Townland: Carnew Year: 1834
Nelson, James Townland: Garvaghy Year: 1834
Nelson, John Townland: Carnew Year: 1834
Nelson, John Townland: Kilkinamurry Year: 1834
Nelson, Moses Townland: Fedney Year: 1834
Nelson, Samuel Townland: Fedney Year: 1834
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you BallyaltikilliganG

I have not yet made a habit of viewing the irishgenealogyhub tithes as I only recently found out about them. So all that information is new to me.

I tend to go to the PRONI site first for the revisions. I had not yet managed to read the townland for Thomas Holmes when I posted, but a look at a second child's birth took me to Drumgooland and thence to Legananny. I have only viewed the first revision and Thomas is not there but other Holmes are. Thomas Holmes appears at 16A in Craigantlet in 1887.

The evidence of an earlier Henry connection is mounting. There is  that will you noted (which I had not seen) Robert   HOLMES   .   Garvaghy   of Shanrod; will probated in 1839; executor was B. Henny of Shanrod.

Also I have since been informed that Rev John Henry (father of James Henry who married Mary Holmes) officiated at the 1853 marriage of Thomas Holmes and Mary McElroy.

I think the B Henny of Shanrod would be my 5x gt grandfather Brice Henry of Shanrod who I am told died 1852. My own 4x gt grandfather Bryce Henry may have already been at Dunsilly by 1839 as that was about when he married. The Brice Henry at Shanrod in the Griffths valuations was a grandson of Brice senior but born 1823 (son of James b1798),  so not the executor of the 1839 will.

Pure speculation would suggest that Robert Holmes might have been a brother in law of Brice Henry senior. However the information I received about the 1853 marriage of Thomas Holmes confirms the Ulster Historical Foundation site index information that his father was another Thomas Holmes.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 01:42 BST (UK) »
Rootsireland information on Rev John Henry confirms he married Eliza Porter, not a daughter  of Rev Samuel Edgar as seen in a presbyterian ministry record.

Rev John Henry was the Presbyterian Minister for Leitrim but the church and his farm next door were in Benraw.

The source of most of the early Henry family information is a family history written in 1930 by Dr Robert Nesbitt, who married Annie Coburn granddaughter of James Henry b1798 of Knockgorm. James son Ebenezer Henry took over the Knockgorm farm after James wife Mary nee Nelson died.

The John Henry is in Shanrod in the Tithes is presumaby this John Henry who married Agnes Nelson of Knockgorm. Brother of Brice Henry senior.

In memory of Agnes Henry, wife to John Henry of Shanrod, who departed this life the 27th of May 1828 aged 44 years Also in memory of the above John Henry of Shanrod who departed this life the 27th of September 1844 aged 78 years.

Cheers Linda

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
glad the tithes were useful have you tried http://www.newtownards.info for craigantlet and names
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
 Hi BallyaltikilliganG

I am still revelling in the Ros Davies site, thank you. Co Down is new to me as up to now my family from my grandfather backwards have all been Co Antrim (with a few side steps to the Down side of Belfast). So this site is new to me also.

:)

Cheers

Linda

Offline Drumgooland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 October 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
Stone in Leitrim Presbyterian burying ground.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Drumgooland,

Thank you so much for the tombstone image. I did not have a date of death for Elizabeth Porter. The Rootsireland entry has their marriage as 20 Oct 1838.

I did have the notice of death for her father . 28 May 1847  On the 22d inst., at an advanced age, Hugh Porter, Esq., of Gargory Cottage, near Castlewellan.

Eliza's sister Margaret Porter  married Dr Samuel Rae. It was following up his name which led to his wife's maiden name,  that  helped confirm the Porter connection.(Prior to finding the rootsireland marriage). The tombstone however says it all.

Rev John Henry (brother of my 3x gt grandfather Bryce Henry) and Elizabeth Porter had 4 sons; Rev John Edgar Henry b1841, Rev Samuel Rae Henry b 1847, Arthur Henry b1850 who inherited the farm then emigrated to NZ, and James Henry b 1852.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline Drumgooland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
The adjacent grave is also Henry; it's rather difficult to read...

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord
Here rest
the bodies of
FREDRICK PORTER HENRY
who died 24th March 1855
Aged 15 years
[of]? THOMAS HENRY
who died 10th October 1866, Aged 22 years
and of ANNA and HUGH RICE HENRY
both of whom died in infancy