Author Topic: Thomas Holmes b c 1825  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Drumgooland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Holmes b c 1825
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
The two Henry graves are in a corner of the graveyard...

Offline Drumgooland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
...overlooking the Mourne Mountains:

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 October 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Drumgooland for the beautiful photos. The Henry's chose a spot with the best view didn't they?

My mother who is 92, talks about one of her father's (born Ireland 1894) favourite songs, featuring the Mountains of Mourne. The Henry's are my father's family and his father was born in Antrim in 1896.

I should think the hard to read son could be Hugh Brice Henry as Reverend John Henry's father was Brice Henry of Shanrod and Eliza's father was Hugh. The Bryce name has been handed down through the generations.

Cheers

Linda (NZ).
Antrim:   Templepatrick: Graham, Wiley, Lynn, Courtney.
                Dunsilly: Gawn, Maxwell, Price, Henry
           Coolsythe: Ewing, McKelvie
Down:    Shanrod: Brice Henry.

Offline Link2Past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 October 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi lmgnz

I am interested in the details that you provided at the start of this thread. 

I have been researching the Henry family on Family Search because it links in with the McAuley family and also I am very interested in the marriage between Bryce Henry (b 1802) and Eliza Ewing.

I have found multiple sources for Bryce's wife being called Eliza but have not found any sources for her being a Ewing.

One of their sons married a McAuley, and her mother is Nancy Ewing.  I think Eliza and Nancy may be sisters.

I also have a Ewing in my ancestry and I think she may be a third sister - she is one of my ancestors that I know the least about but dates and places would seem to be about right.  I am very keen to try to prove (or disprove) this.

Any information you can provide would be great!

Thanks in advance

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 October 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

My first evidence that Eliza was a Ewing came with her will. Eliza Henry died on 14th April 1901 and probate was granted to James Ewing, a carpenter of Randalstown. I have had a copy of this will from 1990s or earlier but now you can view it online. Immediately above Eliza's will is that of her sister. I forget which one but will find it shortly.

Eliza left a will because she and her sisters and James were all expecting a legacy from the will of John Carey.

"Should any portion fall to my Share arising from the deceased John Carey effects of Rarity Cottage, Toome Bridge ". John Carey's mother was a McKelvey as was Eliza and Nancy's mother Molly McKelvey.

In 1999 I visited Ireland and my cousin went looking for the Drummaul cemetery which he remembered visiting as a child. There were found both the Ewing and McAuley of Caddy tombstones. We already knew that William Henry had married his cousin Margaret McAuley from Caddy. John Ewing was a farmer in Coolsythe.

Erected by Robert Ewing of Belfast in memory of his parents:
      John EWING    died 29 Aug 1852    aged 64   b 1788
      Mary EWING   died 1 Sep 1845   aged 47   b 1798

Several Ancestry trees  contain a  John Ewing and Molly McKelvey of Randalstown. The children of this couple in the Stevenson Family Tree are listed in the following order with the dates in brackets. My preferred dates and additional information are given after:

Sarah (b c1840)       married Robert HUGHES      b 1832        m 1853   d1898
Jane (b c1841)      married SHAW
Liz (b c1843)      married Bryce HENRY      b 1820      m c1840   d1901
Peggy (b c1844)   married Richard FAULKNER   b 1821      m <1845   d1906
Nancy (b c1846)   married William John McAULEY   b 1826      m 1847   d 1896
Mary (b c1848)      married Robert AGNEW      b1831      m1851      d 1919
Anna (b c1850)      married CRAIG
Robert (b c1852)   married            b 1845            d 1920
William John (b 1853) married Sarah HILL         b 1835      m 1854   d 1919
John (b 1855)      
James (b 1857)      married REA   (m RESIDE)      b 1838      m 1860   d1915

I really should rearrange this into the correct order and remove the Stevenson dates. Obviously several are quite wrong (by about 20 years) as none of the children were born after their mother died.

Actually I have revised my date of marriage for Eliza and Bryce Henry downwards also to c 1838 as their son Bryce Henry was born c1839.

Cheers

Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 October 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
I had opened the wrong document. This is my 2013 version. I have more information on each family except John who I am not sure ever existed or rather I think he may be William John Ewing. I am also not sure about Jane.

Eliza EWING      b 1820      m c1840   married Bryce HENRY      d 1901 
Margaret (Peggy)   b 1821      m <1845   married Richard FAULKNER   d 1906
Jane EWING *                  married SHAW
Agnes (Nancy)      b 1826      m 1847   married William John McAULEY   d 1896
Mary EWING      b 1831      m 1851   married Robert AGNEW      d 1919
Sarah EWING       b 1832     m 1853   married Robert HUGHES      d 1898
William John EWING   b 1835      m 1854   married Sarah HILL         d 1919
James EWING      b 1838      m 1860   married Margaret RESIDE      d1915
Anna EWING      b 1843      m1866      married William CRAIG      d 1925
Robert EWING      b 1845      m 1869   married Annie Maxwell Campbell d 1920
John*  [date of birth, 1855, in Stevenson tree is not possible if his mother died in 1845]

NB: The will immediately preceding Eliza’s and on the same page, was that of Sarah Hughes of Caddy Randalstown. Sarah Hughes was also allowing for the possibility of inheriting a portion of the estate of John Carey and her will was also witnessed by James Ewing (though written in 1898). As both estates totaled £213.11s.7d, it is very likely that was the exact amount each inherited from John Carey’s estate.

Offline Link2Past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 October 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda - that is brilliant!

Peggy/Margaret is my g2 grandmother, which I guess means my g3grandparents on this line are our common ancestors!

I have some detail on the Faulkner side of the family from the Faulkner family bible (now backed up by the offical sources) as I'm related to them on both maternal and paternal lines.

I'm guessing the wills are on PRONI Will Calendars?  If so I will check that out.

I recognise a lot of the other names that the Ewing family married into as they are names that also crop up on various other branches of my family so I will have an interesting time cross referencing it all.

Do you use
https://www.townlands.ie
It is great for seeing exactly where townlands and parishes are.

I'm hoping to visit the Drummaul parish church graveyard soon so will keep a look out for the graves youi've mentioned.  Let me know if you want me to look for anything else on your behalf.

Cheers
Linda

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

You are the second Faulkner family member who has contacted me. The other last year was through Ancestry and DNA testing as far as I remember. I think her ancestor was Robert Hogg Faulkner. From memory they went to Londonderry. I will look up the details when I get the chance (probably Wednesday our time NZ) and send you a personal message with my email address. I think you need to have 3 posts on rootschat before you can send personal messages and I am way past that.

Yes to PRONI Will calendars.

The will of Richard Faulkner   a farmer of Coolsythe, who died in 1897, names his wife as Margaret and appoints Robert Ewing of Belfast and James Ewing of Randalstown as his executors.
Probate of the Will of Richard Faulkner late of Coolsythe County Antrim Farmer who died 17 June 1897 granted at Belfast to Robert Ewing of Castle Market Belfast Flour Merchant and James Ewing of Randalstown County Antrim Builder.

Richard names three married daughters and his sons William & Robert in addition to his wife Margaret. The married daughters named are Mrs Jane Hill, Mrs Winter and Mrs ?Rea/Kerr/Weir. Richard also names a granddaughter Maggie Eveline Nesbitt. Maggie was not yet 21 in 1897.

I think I may have come up with the answer to the ?Rea/Kerr/Weir question but again will have to check. My Ancestry files are usually more up to date than the written documents.

Eliza Ewing was my 3x gt grandmother. The Henry farm in Dunsilly was next door to the Gawn farm. My 2x gt grandparents were and Mary Jane Henry and William Gawn. I visited both farms in 1999.

No I have not used the townlands site. I use the askaboutIreland Griffiths valuations maps which have a slide control to match to a modern map, then I go to Google.

I have this footnote in my 2013 Ewing document.

Transcriptions of the burial register for the Drummaul cemetery can be found  on Genealogygirl’s Weblog. These burial transcriptions are the property Alistair McCartney and cannot be published without his permission. ( © Transcribed by Alistair McCartney 2012, last updated 22 June 2012).

This is my own transcription from the Ewing tombstone. I wrote this down at the time as my camera malfunctioned and I had to open the back to rewind the film so was worried that the photos might not turn out.

By Robert Ewing Belfast
In memory of his Parents
John EWING who died 29th August 1852
Aged 64 years
Also Mary EWING  who died 1st September 1845
Aged 47 years
Also [not transcribed ?loving  of”]
William John EWING
His wife Sarah EWING
Who died 11 Jan 1903 aged 71 years
Their daughter Maggie Ewing
Who died 10 Nov 1903 aged 45 years
Their son John EWING who died in infancy
Also Sarah EWING who died 8 Dec 1909
Also   Annie EWING who died 19 Jul 1915
Also   Aggie EWING who died 28 Sep 1919
Also the above Wm John EWING
Who departed this life died 2 Mar 1919
Also Mary EWING

I will get back to you soon.

Cheers

Linda

Offline Link2Past

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Linda - I hope by posting this reply it will enable personal messages.

We had the will calendar for Richard Faulkner before, I just didn't have the bigger picture for the Ewing family and the siblings even with the two names supplied on the probate document.

I know what you mean about photos - it must at least 20 years since I was at the Drummaul graveyard and I don't even think I have photos.  I do have some scribbly hand written notes but only for a few lines of my family tree. Digital cameras make it a lot easier and sometimes you can read more on the image than in real life if you fiddle with the settings, which is good for the older memorials.

Many of my ancestors are buried there as well as in two of the nearby Presbyterian graveyards, so I have a busy visit ahead I think.

No worries about timescale - whenever you get a chance.  I am so grateful as this information really helps.

Cheers
Linda