Author Topic: Gedmatch database  (Read 4076 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch database
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Julenz's point is that she will know whether someone has tested.  If the paper trail suggests that two people are related within the 2-4 cousin range for instance but there's nothing showing on Gedmatch, then it might be time to revisit the paper trail.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean :) yep its just another tool and since rootschat has a forum for DNA i was just chucking my 5c worth in :)plus too a tree i manage for a friend on gedmatch has over 900 matches so realistically its going to take me a while to work thru those matches..was just a thought that if people listed here you would know they were keen for contact..out of the 200 odd emails ive sent matches ive had 5 responses and not everyone who DNA tests is a genealogist there may be many private reasons why people are testing and dont want contact ..at least here on Rootschat i know everyone is here for a purpose :) i like the suggestion of putting in signature here so then people have the option to look if they want
Hello Julenz,

I am obviously missing something here. If you and I have a "match" then it will appear on my list of matches at Gedmatch.
I may be lazy - well, okay, I am lazy - but why should I go through a list of names and kit numbers here on RootsChat, when it has already been done for me on Gedmatch.
I am not getting at you - there are many forums where the same question is asked, or where the list exists and can be added to. I just don't see why.
Thank you
Jean ( a fellow NZer)
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Julez

Yes not having responses is a bug but its all part of it. Like you I don't understand why , if you are tested, you aren't open to receiving a response. Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

On the primary site I can understand a reluctance but if a person then uploads it to Gedmatch why wouldn't they be responsive?

Even if its a ' nope cant find a name' its a reply.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline McMolly

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 June 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hello...

I am new to this website.  I'm hoping it can help me search my Irish roots going backward from Scotland.  My great grandfather came from Sligo, we are told.  His name in Ireland was John O'Neill but he changed it to John Lees in Scotland.  All the men in the family were coal miners. They moved around a few times after 1855 and ended up in Slamannan, Scotland.

I'm using Gedmatch.com and trying to connect with people in the UK.  So far, I've only met up with one family line that is proving to be positive and very interesting.  Is there another website that the UK uses other than Gedmatch?

McMolly
A986812
California

My cousin JJ Ward is more promising and he can be found on my top 5 listings with my brother.

Any suggestions?

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
I am on GEDmatch and I have connected with relatives.

Have one family group denying they have UK or Irish roots (all mainland European) but they also link with 2 others that I do and the 3 of us link to part of my paternal line lol.

On 23andMe have found a French 2nd cousin who is confused to have a British 2nd cousin as all his relatives were (he thought) French. He's from northern France near WW1 sites. I told him I had several great uncles in France during WW1  ;D.

The best link on GEDmatch is a man in USA who told me his grandfather was British and he had found ancestors but didn't know much about the area and named my birth town. I gave him some information and links and he was delighted. He named his grandfather and as luck would have it he was already on my tree. The American's 3rd great grandmother was my 3rd great grandmother's sister so we met at our 4th great grandparents. This proved my paper trail from me through my maternal grandmother to my 4th great grandparents (born late 1700s) and out to the grandfather of the American.  :) :) :)

I can see both sides of this - why bother checking on here for GEDmatch links  ::) but then again if they are on here they are interested to find ancestors and you would get results if you do connect with them and wanted to find the connecting ancestors.

Have put my number on so I'll see if it works  ;D

8)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello...

I am new to this website.  I'm hoping it can help me search my Irish roots going backward from Scotland.  My great grandfather came from Sligo, we are told.  His name in Ireland was John O'Neill but he changed it to John Lees in Scotland.  All the men in the family were coal miners. They moved around a few times after 1855 and ended up in Slamannan, Scotland.

I'm using Gedmatch.com and trying to connect with people in the UK.  So far, I've only met up with one family line that is proving to be positive and very interesting.  Is there another website that the UK uses other than Gedmatch?

McMolly
A986812
California

My cousin JJ Ward is more promising and he can be found on my top 5 listings with my brother.

Any suggestions?
Hi McMolly

I checked and we have no connection at the recommended 7 level.

I would post your query on the Beginners board as there are many clever people here who can help

Good luck and welcome

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 June 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi McMolly and welcome to Rootschat.

I can see your DNA test number begins with a "A" making it an Ancestry kit.  You can upload your data (free) to FTDNA and may get a few more matches there with people who've not put their results on GEDMatch.  I'd also recommend you upload a pedigree tree to FTDNA, and to GEDMatch if you've not already done so.  The tree should include locations (even approximate) and dates where you know them.  You can tweak the settings to anonymise living people if that's what you wish.

Have fun
Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline drscraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 June 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
David, out of idle curiosity I ran your GEDmatch kit against mine.... using the default settings, we share 15.5cM (7.5 on chromosome 7 and 8 on chromosome 12) estimated MRCA 6.9 which is quite some time ago. There is an additional 3cM on chromosome 14 which shows up when I lower the threshold. No shared X DNA.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 June 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
David, out of idle curiosity I ran your GEDmatch kit against mine.... using the default settings, we share 15.5cM (7.5 on chromosome 7 and 8 on chromosome 12) estimated MRCA 6.9 which is quite some time ago. There is an additional 3cM on chromosome 14 which shows up when I lower the threshold. No shared X DNA.
Hi and welcome

I have a list of some of my names also in my signature, as you say 7 generations is a while ago, do any of those names ring a bell?

If you make 2 more posts you are then able to send a private message if you don't wish to share that information on here.

The one thing about being in Australia is a robust civil obedience and record keeping , so most Australians can and should be able to follow a path back to most families to about 1800 ( bragging)

My ancestors are based all over the UK from Scotland to Cornwall and places in between but no Welsh ( so far) and a few Germans

Scott, Cronin