Author Topic: Brother's William and John Redman of Billingshurst  (Read 915 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Brother's William and John Redman of Billingshurst
« on: Saturday 20 May 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Researching these brothers b. circa 1797 and 1798 has thrown up a coincidence that has caused me  many problems. 1831 John married an Elizabeth Burchall  daug of Henry and Elizabeth bap. 1804 in Billingshurst.  Confirmed by Parish Records.  I know from census that William also married an Elizabeth.  It is highly likely she is also an  Elizabeth Burchall daug of John and Hannah bap. 1806  in Billingshurst. No marriages found in Billingshurst but one in West Chiltington 1822, I have not accessed Parish records just searched SFHG for marriages.  Was wondering if anyone has West Chiltington Parish CD, it may give details that could help.

Going back to William  and Elizabeth  1851 census his occupation Ag. Labourer/Grocer Shop.  1861 he is Pig Dealer she is Grocer.  William, died 1863, Elizabeth on 1871 is Widow, Retail Grocer. 1881 she is housekeeper.  She died 1882.

On this search I am trying to find shops in Billingshurst with no luck.  It may be that the Burchall's are shop owners?  That would maybe  confirm he did marry an  Elizabeth Burchall

I am tearing my hair out on these two searches.  John's Elizabeth is missing from 1871 census. Plus there are a few mistranscriptions of Redman.  Rodman, Reedman, Readman etc.  In 1881 a Widow she was a Nurse/Housekeeper. John died 1867.

If anyone can help would be eternally grateful.  Sometimes it needs someone else's eyes as I can quite often miss the obvious.   
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brother's William and John Redman of Billingshurst
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
William and Elizabeth in Billingshurst seem to have had quite a few children after 1837
William 1839, Thomas 1841, Jane 1843, Frederick 1845, Henry 1849
It is quite a long way back from 1849 to that 1822 marriage, but the new GRO index has potential birth registrations for all of them in Petworth district, mother's maiden name Burchell.

Baptisms of the children in Billingshurst have father William as a Labourer, until the last one, Henry, when he is a Grocer.

Don't forget that, at the moment, you can see many Sussex PRs and BTs on Family Search if you register with the website, and are logged in.
Henry's baptism is here (the film has all the others on it)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRCH-7B?mode=g&i=594&cat=451928

1822 marriage in West Chiltington
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D1F9-MBJ?i=202&cat=228700

It says that they were bachelor and spinster, both of the parish. William and Elizabeth made their mark. Witnesses John Geal and Clement Caplen (who is a regular)
John

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 May 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. So now I know it's Burchall through births, brilliant. They had first child Esther 10 years after the unconfirmed marriage then Ann 1836 . It's a long time to wait and unusual for that period.

The West Chiltington marriage didn't sound right , but its was only one I found giving her name, it's not that far from Billingshurst maybe they worked there. Was hoping her father was witness or one of Williams brothers or sister. I can't find any marriage in Billingshurst searched 1822 - 1836 to tie in with birth of Esther 1832.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 May 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are some possibles for them in Billingshurst
Mary, 25 August 1822
Hannah, 1 May 1825