Author Topic: Alexander Hay. Cannot find parents  (Read 2775 times)

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander Hay. Cannot find parents
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
Have had trouble finding parents of my Alex Hay Ch. 23/12/1840, at Aberdeen. He married Marjory Bruce and had Marjory ( re-named Jane) and Alexander.
The most likely parents are listed below:     Alexander Hay was christened at Old Machar Parish on 17.8.1811. Parents were Adam Hay and Jean Milne married 25.4.1809 at New Machar and Peterhead. Known siblings were Charles Stephen (ch. 18.4.1813), Elizabeth (ch. 30.7.1814) and Adam (ch. 7.3.1823). Adam Jnr would have been aged 15 when Marjory was christened and age 18 for the 1841 census. Adam Hay (senior) was possibly ch.5 or 25.4.1786 at Glenbucket, Aberdeen- parents being Adam Hay and Elizabeth Ogg. Adam Snr or Jnr could have been the witness for the christening of Margory (Jane/Jean). On balance, this may be our Family.
Any help?
Gary
Hay, Aberdeen, Peterhead, Longside

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Hay. Cannot find parents
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary

Have had trouble finding parents of my Alex Hay Ch. 23/12/1840, at Aberdeen. He married Marjory Bruce and had Marjory ( re-named Jane) and Alexander.

I'm a wee bit confused....

Alexander HAY chr 23 Dec 1840
(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY65-PRJ
Father Alexander HAY and mother: Marjory BRUCE

(Also wondering what the full story is about changing the name of a child from 'Marjory' to 'Jane'? - and whose daughter was she?)

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
The most likely parents are listed below:     Alexander Hay was christened at Old Machar Parish on 17.8.1811. Parents were Adam Hay and Jean Milne married 25.4.1809 at New Machar and Peterhead. Known siblings were Charles Stephen (ch. 18.4.1813), Elizabeth (ch. 30.7.1814) and Adam (ch. 7.3.1823). Adam Jnr would have been aged 15 when Marjory was christened and age 18 for the 1841 census. Adam Hay (senior) was possibly ch.5 or 25.4.1786 at Glenbucket, Aberdeen- parents being Adam Hay and Elizabeth Ogg. Adam Snr or Jnr could have been the witness for the christening of Margory (Jane/Jean). On balance, this may be our Family.
Any help?
Gary

Yes, I agree your post has been written confusingly.
 Yep, you clearly know who the parents were for your Alexander christened 23/12/1840......it is these parents that you want to know their parents. So what I would do is.....buy the death certificates for Alexander Hay, and Marjorie Bruce. See how long they lived via census and that will give you a window to narrow down your death search.
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
Ambly
Thanks for reply.
Christening records show Marjory, but 1841 census shows Jean. 1851 census shows Jane and marriage records show Jane. (try Jane/Jean with a Scottish accent). As far as I can tell mum and dad were as per records.
Thanks
Gary

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 May 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Kenjo
Thanks for interest.
Alex died soon after 1841 census. Marjory (wife re-married about 1846). No death records are available. He lived in Red Lion Inn, cnr Love Lane.

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 May 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Isobelw
Yes. That was me that posted that post. Solved that query. Thanks to all who assisted.
I am now trying to dig one more level back.
To provide all the information I have would have turned most people off.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Let's go back to basics.

Alexander Hay and Marjory Bruce were married in Aberdeen on 29 October 1836 and had two recorded children
Marjory, baptised 5 October 1838, St Nicholas
Alexander, baptised 23 December 1840, St Nicholas

The census lists at Love Lane, Spittal, Old Machar
Alexander Hay, 30, mason; Marjory Hay, 30; George Hay, 10; Jean Hay, 5; Alexander Hay, 5 months.

Marjory, born 1838, would have been only 2 on census day 1841. Jean/Jane, if aged 5 on census day 1841, would have been born between 8 June 1835 and 7 June 1836, but in any case before Alexander married Marjory. Therefore I do not think that Jean is Marjory with a change of name. Checking the burial records might shed some light on this.

So who, then, are George and Jean? They could be Alexander's children by a previous marriage, Marjory's children by a previous marriage, or they could be illegitimate children of one or both of Alexander or Marjory.

What evidence do you have for thinking that Alexander's parents were Adam Hay and Jean Milne?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BrisbaneHay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 May 17 06:54 BST (UK) »
Forfarian
Thanks for interest.
The 1841 census rules were that anyone up to 15 years old was listed as their age, over age 15 were rounded down to closest 5 years. This would explain the age of mother. Marjory. Checked neighbors and all had children aged 5 or 10- suspect that rules were not followed correctly. As Marjory was born in 1813 according to death certificate, an age of 25 years would be more logical for her.

George in census is son of Alexander from a previous marriage. A George Hay christening was found for 29/5/1827 at Aberdeen. “Alexander Hay, mason, and his spouse Grace Farquhar had a son born named George baptised by the ? Bishop Skinner in presence of James ? and George Davidson masons”.  I cannot find any record of this marriage, or birth of Grace.

Regarding Marjory/Jean/Jane: death records were not kept in those years- burial records are minimal. JANE HAY, b. 1838; m. GEORGE KERR, 10 August 1860, Red Lion Inn, Spital, Aberdeen.
Marriage Notes for JANE HAY and GEORGE KERR:
Old Machar/1860/116 on 10th August, 1860 at Red Lion Inn, Spital, Old Aberdeen
George Kerr aged 31 years, Beach Battery, Links, Aberdeen sergeant royal artillery, bachelor, father John Kerr tailor master, deceased, mother Elizabeth Kerr, nee Stewart; married Jane Hay aged 22 years of Red Lion Inn Spital, Old Aberdeen, dress maker spinster; father Alexander Hay road contractor deceased; mother Marjory Ross, previously Hay, nee Bruce. married by Ch Skene, minister of John Knox Church, witnesses Alexr. McGregor, and James Bisset.

St Nicholas  5th October, 1838
Alexander Hay mason and his spouse Marjory Bruce had a daughter born and baptised by the Reverend William ----- by the name of Marjory in presence of William Chrie and Adam Hay laborer.
These records make it most likely that Marjory/Jean and Jane were the same person. Maybe baptism was delayed after birth.

The Adam Hay/Jean Milne connection is as follows: The above baptism records show an Adam Hay, laborer as a witness.  Have assumed he was a brother. Looked up all Alex and Adam Hay that were brothers and found 2.
The Adam listed as the brother of Alexander (Hay/Milne marriage) above, would have been aged 18 at the time of the 1841 census. An Adam was found in the 1841 census age 15 (rounded down) at Finnylost, Strathdon Parish, male servant to a farmer. Advice is that it was possible for a minor to be a witness at a christening.
The other Alexander/Adam brothers were born to Alexander Hay and Mary Clarke. This Adam was born 16/9/1808 in Cluny. This Adam was found in the 1841 census at Kirktown, Culsamond Parish. He is listed as an ag. laborer –age 30 rounded down, ( the witness at the christening of Marjory was listed as a laborer) and was in the same house married to Margaret Hay. This Alexander died 13/11/1869 at Aberdeen, age 67. Therefore, not my Alexander who died about 1843.

Hoping that the reasoning is sound.