Author Topic: Farraday's of Rochdale  (Read 1623 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farraday's of Rochdale
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
May I ask where you got Elizabeth's date of death from please. There is no death recorded in the indexes in 1847 for either Elizabeth or Betty

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
The date of Elizabeth Farraday’s death came from the Headstone of John Farraday, Burial Plot – P34, in the “new” burial ground at St. Chad’s.

Plot     Inscription                                                         Age     Died

P34     John Farraday - plasterer                                 50     14th Mar.     1831
                          also Elizabeth the wife of the above named      67     12th Sept.   1847
                          John Farraday also Margaret their daughter       1     31st Oct.     1835

(I tried to attach the original photocopy of the Headstone Inscriptions Page, but it was too large.)

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 May 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
This is a possibility.
James Schofield cloth maker married Betty Farriday widow 12 March 1834 at St James Wardleworth.
Betty Schofield wife of John age 67 buried St Chads 16 Sept 1847.
Betty Farriday living with sons Robert and George Gate St Rochdale 1841 census.
There are several James Schofield deaths before 1841. Perhaps her children got his Christian name wrong . You' d need Betty death cert to see if death registered by a Farriday.
Info from Lancsopc. Sue
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 May 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Sue,

I like your reasoning.  It had crossed my mind that Elizabeth might have got married again after 1831.  But then I thought, if she did, why would she have got buried in the same grave as her first husband John ?

Your theory certainly warrants further investigation, which I will do.

Thank you.

Tina.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 May 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Which is perhaps why unlike the other two her surname is not mentioned on the headstone

If I remember rightly from some of my research into my own family I have just the same situation from around a similar time

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 May 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Possible reasons why Elizabeth was buried in the same grave as her 1st husband rather than her 2nd.
1. She or one of her children held the grave papers. 2. She wanted to be buried with her daughter. 3. Her 2nd husband didn't have a family grave, or there was no room left in it for her. 4. It was cheaper than buying a new grave.
Although her name is on the headstone, is that proof that she was actually buried there?  Children of the marriage may have wanted her recorded there.
Cowban

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 June 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Update on the Farradays’.

Elizabeth Farraday was buried in the St. Chad’s “new” burial ground on 16th September 1847, as confirmed by the St. Chad’s Burial Register.  She was buried under her second married name of Betty Schofield, although that name does not appear on her Gravestone.  Her date of death, according to the Death Certificate obtained from the GRO was 13th September 1847.  She died of Dropsy, disease of the liver, (now known as Oedema), from which she had been suffering for 9 months.

Betty was living prior to her death, at the home of one of her sons, George Farraday, and his family, in Packer Street, Rochdale.  He was the informant and present at her death.  Interestingly Betty is described on her Death Certificate as the wife of James Schofield, (not his widow), so probably he was still alive.  Nor was she designated as the wife of John Schofield, as recorded in the St. Chad’s Burial Register.

So, it would appear Sue, that almost all of your assumptions were correct, well done and thank you.

I would also like to thank everyone who helped.  If there is anything else anyone would like to contribute, or have any theories about what might have happened to “James”, please feel free to share them.