Author Topic: Ancroft Moor Presbyterian Church  (Read 1962 times)

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancroft Moor Presbyterian Church
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Northumbrian Rootschatters!

Can anyone help me to find online information about the history and early baptism records of Ancroft Moor Presbyterian Church.  It lies on the B6354 near Ancroft Northmoor Farm.  I am trying to find baptism records for the nine (or more?) children of Andrew Stevenson, all of whom, according to the 1851 census, were born at Lowick between about 1818 and 1836.  I am pretty sure the family was Presbyterian, as Andrew was baptized at Etal Presbyterian Meeting House in 1786, but I cannot find baptism records for the children at any local Anglican or Presbyterian churches.  What other churches might they have been christened at?

Any help much appreciated.

Lazytee

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancroft Moor Presbyterian Church
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
An article in the Berwick Advertiser, 12 July 1945 reports on  the centenary celebrations for Ancroft Moor Presbyterian Church of England.
So it was built in the mid 1840s which seems to have been too late for the timeframe you are looking for - though I do not know if there had been a congregation in Ancroft Moor worshipping in another building prior to then.

Boo

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Boo.  I had noticed that the Berwick Records Office does not seem to have any baptism records for Ancroft Presbyterian church before 1845, and had wondered if the church was not in existence before that date, and it seems that this is the case.  I will just have to try other Presbyterian records for that area of north Northumberland.

Thank you very much for your interest and prompt reply.

Lazytee.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
If you post the details of Andrew's wife and the name and approximate dates of birth for the children you are searching for, I am sure that people will at least attempt to help to look for baptisms elsewhere. Without the details though that becomes more time consuming and  difficult.

Boo

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again Boo!

Thank you for the suggestion.  I didn't give the names of Andrew's children in my first post because my enquiry was intended only to be general, and I didn't want the generous Rootschatters to go to a lot of trouble looking on lots of different websites for individual members of the family.  But for anyone who is interested or maybe even has a link to the family, the names of the children are:
                        Jane b. about 1818
                        James b. about 1820
                        Adam b. about 1824
                        Mary b. about 1825
                        Andrew b. about 1827
                        Margaret b. about 1829
                        Eleanor b. about 1831
                        Elspeth b. about 1833
                        Thomas b. about 1836
Their mother's name is Martha and there may have been a daughter Isabella, perhaps born between James and Adam and named after her paternal grandmother.  All the children appear in the 1841 and 51 censuses, except for Jane, who may have married or died during that decade, and Elspeth of whom I can find no trace in 1851, but who reappears with the family at Lowick in 1861 together with her daughter Martha.
Any information gratefully accepted.

Lazytee.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the online records I have access to and, like you, am drawing a blank.

Northumberland Archives online list of Presbyterian Records
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k51/ 

has a good few that I don't have access to, including Lowick Scotch Presbyterian Baptisms 1804-1849 which (unless you already know otherwise) seems a likely place for them to have been baptised?

Added:
The Family Search Catalogue has the following http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k52/  which is billed as a printed transcript of Lowick, Protestant Dissenting Chapel 1804-1903 which 'may'  equate to the above. The digital images can only be seen online if you have a suitable log in, or can be viewed at a Family History Centre if there is one near you.

Boo

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
Dear Boo,

Very many thanks for your excellent advice.  I can certainly look at the Lowick Scotch Presbyterian church records, which cover the period I am interested in, when I am next at the BRO or Woodhorn.  I tried to get on the Family Search Catalogue you suggest, but couldn't get through to the actual images, even though I have a login for FS.  Never mind, I will be in Northumberland in the autumn, and can renew my searches then.

Thank you so much, Boo, for alerting me to these websites, particularly the FS catalogue.  I am sure they will both be very useful in the future.

Warmest regards,

Hazel.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
I tried to get on the Family Search Catalogue you suggest, but couldn't get through to the actual images, even though I have a login for FS. 

It seems to depend on what type of login you have.
I have a free account log in, but these images are only viewable if you a signed in member of a supporting organisation or are using the site at a Family History Centre.
I am not entirely sure what qualifies as a 'supporting organisation' but assume it would include Church Members and perhaps staff at relevant archives etc who allowed the LDS to film the documents.

Good luck with finding your missing baptisms, do come back and let us know if/when you do.

Boo

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again Boo,

Like you, I am not sure what the "supporting organizations" would be, but at least I now have a new lead to follow up when I am in Northumberland.

Best wishes,

Hazel.