Author Topic: 1939 Register  (Read 6863 times)

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
On the 1939 register some names are blacked out with the wording This record is officially closed could someone tell me why it is officially closed.

Also some surnames have another surname in brackets above the first why is this.

Buzz

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
This register was used for the ration books. Women who married changed their names and this had to be updated hence the extra surnames.

The blacked out areas are people who could still be alive and were born less than 100 years ago. They have tried to find deaths and both my parents are clearly seen in the register. My aunt who was born in 1925 and who died in 2015 is the only one in both families who is still blacked out as it's such a recent death. My mother's death was 2005.

Hope this helps.
 :)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
It was also used from 1948 as the National Health Service (NHS) Register, and was updated until 1991, when the paper-based system was discontinued. So during that time a lot of women married or remarried and their names changed.

This is useful reading

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
On Findmypast go to 'help' (in the blue panel across the top), then 'Frequently asked questions', you'll find that there is a whole section given over to questions about the 1939 Register.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.

Buzz

Offline Cinders59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
Is there anyway that a blacked out person can get it unblocked, the imediate family have all passed away the latest the mother my great aunt died in 1999 , the one who was blocked out. I would be interested to see her record especially her correct birth date, I am almost certain she was adopted and this could confirm it
thanks

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
I think that direct relatives armed with the appropriate documantation may apply to have the record altered ( opened)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Is there anyway that a blacked out person can get it unblocked, the imediate family have all passed away the latest the mother my great aunt died in 1999 , the one who was blocked out. I would be interested to see her record especially her correct birth date, I am almost certain she was adopted and this could confirm it
thanks

See ...
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/#10-how-can-i-open-a-record-of-an-individual-i-know-to-be-deceased

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 April 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
I think that direct relatives armed with the appropriate documantation may apply to have the record altered ( opened)
Nothing to do with direct relatives, the redaction will be removed as soon as FindMyPast have proof of the person's death whether that is by anyone in the worlds supplying a copy of the person's death certificate, FindMyPast researchers finding proof of death or any other proof the person is dead.
There is also an automatic un-redaction 100 years from the persons year of birth.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.