Author Topic: Barrett/Youngs West Rudham  (Read 1314 times)

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Barrett/Youngs West Rudham
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.

I've come to a bit of a brick wall and not sure I know how to resolve it so thought I'd ask for some help!

My direct ancestors married in West Rudham in 1796. However I can't seem to find them before this.

There are William Barretts and Mary Youngs in nearby Tittleshall. 3 William Barretts to William and Mary Barrett (I presume the previous two died, but can't find buriel records) and a Mary Youngs.

However this would put William at 14 at time of Marriage and Mary at 34. I thought this unlikely to be either of them.

I did however find possible the Parents of William Barrett, William and Mary, nee Forby.  And the witness was a Alies  (Alice?) Youngs.

Not really sure where to go with this without taking wild guesses!

Any help appreciated.
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barrett/Youngs West Rudham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
For your notes Monumental Inscriptions at West Rudham (ref NFHS)
All on the same monument.
William Barrett died 25 July 1830 age 63 his wife Mary died 19 January 1858 age 90, son George 5 October 1832 age 18 and Frederick Thomas Bradick age 3 months 16 February 1845.

This would put Williams DOB at about 1767
Mary' at 1768
George at 1814
Frederick Thomas Bradick must be a grandson.

Added
William was buried the 28th July 1830
Mary was buried 22 January 1858

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
Banns were read for William Barrett and Mary Youngs both of the parish West Rudham on 15,20,27 November 1796
They married 28 November 1796 witness John Barrett, signed  and Mary Collins, marked.
William made his mark and Mary Youngs signed.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 17 08:18 BST (UK) »
1851 census Harpley Road West Rudham
Mary Barrett age 82 Annuitant born West Rudham

Norfolk Record Office
Barrett, William of West Rudham ref: ANF will register folio 380 (1832 number 76)

Might be worth getting the will and find out where he owned property, Mary lived another 28 years
after William died and still had her own money (ref: 1851 census).

The NFHS has only the monumental Inscriptions no parish records, they are not on Freereg and only a few on family search transcriptions.
**If funds allow have the record office do a search for you as you know the approximate years of birth.**

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
The will is on Norfolk Sources image 158 and 160

He, William Bennett was a pig jobber names his wife Mary, eldest son Robert, 2nd John, 3rd Thomas, 4th  William and 5th George, eldest daughter Charlotte, 2nd daughter Mary Ann and daughter Sarah.
If George and Sarah do not marry his wife is to feed and clothe them.
His will was written 20 May 1830 so it infers that all except George and Sarah are now married.
Each child except Sarah is given a cottage with shed and gardens, tha
His wife Mary gets the one he now lives in and it may be that Sarah will get that one after her mother passes.
In 1851 Sarah has married a William Barrett from Narborough and is living with her mother.
The will also states that his wife Mary is to pay for each grandson to be apprenticed.

Unless the LDS gets the problem solved so we can see parish records again, your only recourse is for the Record office to do a search for you.

Offline paulbarrett1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hello, thankyou for the help and apologies for the slow reply.

It's been a few years since I done any genealogy and things have changed a little so I think I'm a bit rusty.

I'll take a look at the information you've given me and see if I can work something out.

Many thanks.
Norfolk: Chapman, Berry, Jarvis, Seymour, Bennett, Lambert, Harrison, Theobald, Eggleton, Studwell, Griggs, Chapman, Berry, Pearman, Largen, Largent, Hillson, Secker, Blowers, Stringer, Cooke<br />Suffolk: Berry, Bury, Elger, Alger<br />Essex: Fuller<br />Hertfordshire: Fuller, Filler, Blackaby, Gibbs<br />Cambridgeshire: Bouch, Savage,<br />Huntingdonshire: Savage<br />Lincolnshire: Graves, Whiley, Pearson, Allen, Randall<br />Northamptonshire: Green<br />Middlesex: Oakley, Secker

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 05:43 BST (UK) »
Update
My error West Rudham is on Freereg website