Author Topic: CHEVALIER ORDER OF LEOPOLD 1919  (Read 1512 times)

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHEVALIER ORDER OF LEOPOLD 1919
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the REASON for the Chevalier Order of Leopold being awarded to W T Walker in Durban 14 May 1919.

Thanks
B
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CHEVALIER ORDER OF LEOPOLD 1919
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks - doesn't give the reason he was awarded the medal.
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 17 07:33 BST (UK) »
You won't I'm afraid, find a document saying he receives the award for x, y and z. These types of awards were made by allied governments to people nominated to them by the British government for "valuable services rendered" to use the official jargon.  The services would relate in some way to the war effort connecting the two allies concerned.   This sometimes had a qualifier, with Belgium I've seen "in connection  with Belgian refugees" and "in connection with the sick", "while employed as Chief of Government Commission at Amsterdam for the transport of Belgians to UK...". 

That said, it would be useful to dig a bit deeper.  I can find no immediate connection between the Military Embarkation Staff in Durban with the Belgians.  Could your man have served in Europe before this time?  I can't find the award either in the London Gazette, do you have any more details rank/first names/regiment?

maxD

PS I am finding a Captain (Royal Navy) W F Walker, a medical branch officer, although not in connection with Durban or the award.

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 17 08:16 BST (UK) »
Just some info re Durban:

Durban became a considerable hospital centre during the First World War; in May 1918, it contained No. 3 South African General Hospital, seven other hospitals and two convalescent camps, to which sick and wounded were brought from East African and other theatres of War.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
That's very useful KGarrad.  There was of course Belgian military involvement in the East African campaign north of Durban and the possibility could well exist of troops being treated in Durban and evacuated with the help of the embarkation staff thus earning the tanks of the Belgian government.

Bhunter - a line worth pursuing?

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 May 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

There was a very small piece in the Supplement to the London Gazette of 6 Feb 1922 that I will attach.

Ireland - Connor; Foley.
South Africa - Cox

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 May 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Well done indeed. I didn't look far enough in the LG beyond 1919!!!  The previous page has the introduction:
The following are among the Decorations and Medals awarded by the Allied Powers at various dates to the British Forces for distinguished service rendered during the War of 1914-19: —
His Majesty the King has given unrestricted permission in all cases to wear the Decorations and Medals in question.
DECORATIONS CONFERRED

This is an example of what I mentioned earlier, he clearly rendered valuable service over an extended period such that his superiors advanced his name to the Belgian government for recognition.  I'd start by trying to track down records of the 7th Infantry Regiment SADF.  This looks promising https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/South_Africa_Military_Records to find the Belgian connection.

As an aside, you'll notice that the Belgian awards are all for officers, with the more senior getting the Officier level and I think it makes the point that generally these were awards for making an exceptional job of being in charge of something, rather than charging the enemy with pistol in hand and bayonet between the teeth. 

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 May 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks maxD - that's great.
B
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
South Africa - Cox