Author Topic: CHEVALIER ORDER OF LEOPOLD 1919  (Read 1508 times)

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: CHEVALIER ORDER OF LEOPOLD 1919
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 May 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Just for interest: from Wikipedia:

"The ribbon of the Order is usually plain purple. However, if the Order is awarded in special circumstances, the ribbon of the Officer and Knight classes show the following variations:

Crossed swords are added to the ribbon when awarded in wartime (if the Order was awarded during the Second World War or during the Korean War, a small bar is added to the ribbon mentioning the name of the war);
    The ribbon has a vertical gold border on both sides when awarded for a special act of valour at war;
    The ribbon has a central vertical gold stripe when awarded for an exceptionally meritorious act in wartime;
    A silver star is added to the ribbon when awarded for meritorious acts of charity;
    A gold star is added to the ribbon when the recipient has been mentioned in dispatches at the national level;
    Silver or gold palms are added to the ribbon when awarded in wartime to military personnel.

Stars and borders or stripes can be awarded together, but these deviations are currently only rarely awarded. The colour of the ribbon has varied during the nineteenth century from red to purple."

It would be nice to find out what WT Walker's ribbon looked like if that was possible, as it might help show what his award was for. I suppose though that this would be unlikely to happen?

RRTB

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 May 17 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks RRTB.

I will attach the medal.

B
Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 May 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
It is a beautiful medal indeed.

RRTB