Author Topic: My fathers service in India 1932/1939  (Read 631 times)

Offline Geminin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My fathers service in India 1932/1939
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
First I am new to this forum and apologise for the length of this post.
I have recently obtained my late fathers army records which provide fascinating information on a  long service that I knew nothing about.
He enlisted in 1932 for 7 years under colours and 5 years in Army Reserves. In 1933 he was posted to India and was there for over 5 years returning to UK in 1939. He was the in UK until 1943 and then was in West Africa for 18 months and then direct to India again until 1945/6. His final rank was C/Sgt (CQMS)
My problem is that there is little or no information on exactly where he was or what he was doing on each of the postings so I am going to try and find out.
Any general tips would be welcome but for this post I am concentrating on his time in India between 1933 and 1939.
 All I know from a promotion comment on his records is that on 2/10/1935 he was definitely in Trimulgherry  which today is part of Hyderabad and had a large army presence.
Any information on this place or guidance on where I could look for information covering this period would be very appreciated.

Offline Geminin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My fathers service in India 1932/1939
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry I should have said he was in the North Staffordshire Regument

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
The between war years can be some of the most difficult to research, no war diaries, no real glory and no real histories.  My suggestion would be, if nothing concrete appears,  to contact the Staffords Museum http://www.staffordshireregimentmuseum.com/

Some reading here http://www.britishmilitaryhistory.co.uk/documents.php?nid=12 and http://www.khyber.org/publications/041-045/armyininda.shtml

Care needed with terminology . British units were the British Army in India not the Indian Army (which had some Brits!).

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Geminin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the response Max.
I do see what you mean about the lack of archives. I had seen the British military history documents which do give very useful background and I am in contact with the museum.
 Thanks Again