Author Topic: ALEXANDER HEANEY  (Read 2445 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
ALEXANDER HEANEY
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have researched this now until I have completely and utterly hit a brick wall. I have posted about this family before but really need someone to take a look with a fresh set of eyes as I can not work it out for want of trying.

My great great grandfather has three sons. My great grand father being Hugh Heaney. I have been researching his brothers family and that's where it gets complicated.

I have his brother Alexander Heaney (Sometimes Hannay) born circa 1855 Ballymoney, Ireland. The boys moved over to Scotland with their mother when their step father Samuel McCollum died.

Alexander married Mary McCurley in 1873 Cathcart, Glasgow.

They had two sons Francis and Alexander.

I can not find a death for Mary McCurley or Heaney as she would then be. Also on Alexanders death cert it says that he remarried a Lizzie McLulkin - again I can not find that marriage anywhere. In truth this 2nd marriage is a surprise. I'm unclear as to whether there were children from the second marriage . I also can not fine Lizzies death to establish this.

Alexander died 17th dec 1916 - paralysis of the insane (ayr district asylum) my family had a thing about this particular disease. Whats really weird is his father is listed as John Heaney which is incorrect as it should be Hugh. I looked at his birth cert and its the same. So either this is a mistake or Martha Peacock married 2 Heaney's before she married Samuel Mccollum.

I appreciate this family has previously been covered and I'm unsure how to link any information already been given however I'm more than sure Alexander and his 2 wives have not been. Hence why I need some experts help.

Thanks in advance everyone

P

McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: ALEXANDER HEANEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

When were the 2 sons Francis & Alexander born ?
How old was Mary McCurley when she married ?

ev

Added -
There is a death for a Mary Henney(other surname McCurly) age 22  , 1876 Cathcart Lanark.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev

Francis 6th Sept 1874 Cathcart, Glasgow married Elizabeth Weir

Alexander 26th March 1876 Cathcart, Glasgow - married his cousin Martha Heaney and moved to Australia - I have all of the family tree information on Alexander.

Mary McCurley - born @ 1855 Ireland , Parents Francis McCurley and Catherine Savage (Cant find a marriage for them) Mary and Alexander Snr married 5th Dec 1873 his name spelt Hannay

No record of her death and nothing on census that I can find.

Cant find second marriage

By 1901 Alexander Snr is back living with his mother Martha and step brother Archibald with no wife mentioned.

He died 1916 in ayr asylum but usual address is listed as 44 lower bridge, stirling - not exactly next door to Ayr.

Its all very strange

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
Alexander died 17th dec 1916 - paralysis of the insane (ayr district asylum) my family had a thing about this particular disease. Whats really weird is his father is listed as John Heaney which is incorrect as it should be Hugh. I looked at his birth cert and its the same. So either this is a mistake or Martha Peacock married 2 Heaney's before she married Samuel Mccollum.
Information on death certificate depends on knowledge of informant so it's quite possible father's name was incorrect. It quite unlikely, based on the information found for you previously that mother Martha was married 3 times- see especially reply #2
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752319.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
That what I though too aghadowey however John is named as his father on his birth certificate too.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
That what I though too aghadowey however John is named as his father on his birth certificate too.

What birth certificate? Alexander was born before the start of civil registration

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
My mistake! I meant his marriage certificate to Mary McCurley

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Here is a snippet from his death certificate. I am reading the second wife as Lizzie McLulkin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
If Alexander's father died when he was young he might not have been sure about his first name but Alexander's 2nd wife was Lizzie McQulkin/McQuilkin (not McLulkin).