Author Topic: ALEXANDER HEANEY  (Read 2435 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALEXANDER HEANEY
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 May 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
In 1901 a Leslie Campbell was in the shop-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000297652/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
The information you have been able to give me is amazing .

I'm still a little puzzled so need more help - please - if you don't mind.

I've underlined the bits of the time line I still cant make sense of

1854 - Alexander Heaney born Ballymoney, Ireland - Baptised at Rasharkin RC Church

1873 - Married Mary McCurley - Cathcart, Glasgow
1874 - Son Francis born - Cathcart, Glasgow
1876 - Son Alexander born - Cathcart, Glasgow
1876 - Mary McCurley Heaney dies.

1877 - Marries Lizzie McQuilkin - Ballymoney , Ireland

1891 - On census at 5 Gladstone Street, Hamilton with Wife Lizzie and 2 sons Francis and Alex

1901 - On census at 37 Whitehill Road, Hamilton, Lanarkshire. Living with Mother and Step Brother Archibald McCallum as per the 1901 Census. Perhaps he was only visiting and happened to be recorded there?

1916 - Death - Cause: General Paralysis of the Insane - 5 Months
   Ayr District Asylum. Dec 17 1916. Usual residence 44 Bridge Street, Stirling

If Lizzie died in 1916 in Ireland does that mean they were separated?

Sorry if im missing the obvious but I'm just trying to build his time line and understand it better.
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
The truth of the matter is that we don't, and you may never, know what was going on between Alexander and 2nd wife Lizzie.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 May 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
I believe the name Eoin (not sure of 'correct' spelling) can be termed as Hugh/Ewen & even morphs into John although I have never worked out how/why ???

The Scots Gaelic equivalent of John is Iain. Ewan or Euan or Ewen etc is an anglicisation of the Gaelic name Eoghan, and also equivalent to Welsh Owen. Hugh is Uisdean in Scots Gaelic. Not too hard to get them all mixed up if you are only hearing them rather than spelling them (and we all know that there is no such thing as 'correct' spelling!) and you are unsure whether the person speaking them is speaking Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic or English!

See also http://www.whatsinaname.net/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 28 May 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
I believe the name Eoin (not sure of 'correct' spelling) can be termed as Hugh/Ewen & even morphs into John although I have never worked out how/why ???

The Scots Gaelic equivalent of John is Iain. Ewan or Euan or Ewen etc is an anglicisation of the Gaelic name Eoghan, and also equivalent to Welsh Owen. Hugh is Uisdean in Scots Gaelic. Not too hard to get them all mixed up if you are only hearing them rather than spelling them (and we all know that there is no such thing as 'correct' spelling!) and you are unsure whether the person speaking them is speaking Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic or English!

See also http://www.whatsinaname.net/

Thank you Forfarian,

Why did I not think of that  ???

I can't even remember where I seen those differences but I definitely have in the past but never looked into it...just things we read  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"