Author Topic: Ernest Edward Hyland  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest Edward Hyland
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 20:13 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some assistance trading Ernest Edward Hyland back before his marriage in 1908 in that was registered in Ticehurst.

The 1911 census taken at Holbean Wood Whiligh Ticehurst Sussex gave Ernest Hyland born 1887 in Wadhurst Sussex, a farm labourer. With him was his wife Susan Hyland, nee Wickenham, born 1889 Wadhurst and their son Ernest Edward Hyland who's birth was registered in the 1st qtr of 1910 at Ticehurst. The couple also had a daughter Millicent A Hyland who's birth was registered in the 3rd qtr of 1914 in Ticehurst.

The only record for Ernest prior to 1911 that I have found is the marriage of Susan Wickenham to Ernest Edward Hyland 4th qtr 1908 at Ticehurst.

I have all the information I need for his wife Susan from the time she was born until her death in Pembury Kent in 1960 . Its Ernest I am having trouble with. An article about the family states that Ernest's grandfather was a wheelwright of Wadhurst and that Ernest lived in Wadhurst before his marriage but the article does not give the source of this information.  An immigration record for Ernest Edward Hyland to Canada in 1923 states that could only read " very little" and so it appears in his own words that he received very little in the way of education. He probably came from an agricultural background from a working class family of little financial means. When he immigrated to Canada in 1923 he had only 5 pounds in money with him and a wife and two children back in England who he planned on bringing to Canada later but he died of influenze in Canada only 3 days after arriving in the country and was buried in Canada.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Edward Hyland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
I can't find him as Hyland and can only suggest he may appear in some records under another record. I've found two Ernest Edwards (with other surnames) born in the right era and registered in the Ticehurst district, but both can be traced through to 1911.

Do you know if the wheelwright grandfather was on his paternal or maternal line/ I can;t seea Hyland wheelwright in the region in 1881, for example

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
I would consider getting the marriage certificate to see if it names a father, names of witnesses etc that might help you progress further back  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi firstly the births of the children of Ernest and Susan has them as mmn Wickenden, but assume typo!

Is he the Ernest Hyland 31 occ Labourer address in UK Lodge Cottage,  Wadhurst who departed Southampton for Quebec 11th July 1923 on Vessel Andania?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi will check again departure but there is an Ernest ( no middle name) who arrived on the 12th June 1923 Andania, Quebec b c 1887 wife Susan mention again of Lodge Cottage, Wadhurst?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hello;

Thank you for your replies. The proper spelling of Susan Hyland's maiden name is "Wickenden" . I misspelled it in my original inquiry-sorry about that.

The reference to Ernest's grandfather being a wheelwright came from a book and does not clarify if it was his paternal or maternal grandfather, nor did it give the source of that information. The father of Susan Wickenden was John Wickenden who in  the 1891 and 1901 census was a bricklayer. The Wickenden family were long time residents of Wadhurst and no doubt it was there that Ernest met his future wife.

Yes the Ernest Hyland sailed on the Andania from Southampton to Quebec Canada June 1923 but died in Canada. The outgoing passenger list for him from Southampton gave him born 1892 based on the age he gave. The Canadian immigration records for arrivals gave Ernest born 1887 England. His death record in Canada gave his birth as 1886 England and I found a birth registration record for a Ernest Hyland July qrt 1885 in Ticehurst. His immigration record stated in his own words that he "could read very little" and he obviously had difficulty or was inconsistent in giving his correct age.

However some records do tend to match. The 1911 census gave him born 1887 Wadhurst. A family tree on ancestry Uk gave Ernest Edward Hyland born 1887 Sussex with no information about his parents/siblings. His arrival records in Canada on the Andania gave his birth as 1887 England. His wife  Susan was born 1889 Wadhurst and her year and place of birth is consistent in the 1911, 1901 and 1891 census records so I believe that a birth for Ernest of 1887 Wadhurst is most likely correct although 1887 might be the year of registration with his actual birth about 4th qtr 1886.

Ernest did serve in WW 1 but his service records have not survived or been found so nothing from military records obtained regarding his year and place of birth. Just found his medal index card which was not of any help in this regard.

I cant afford to purchase his marriage certificate to get his fathers name. You would think that there should be census records for Ernest in either Wadhurst or Ticehurst for 1891 and 1901 where he should be living with his parents (especially in 1891). Since Ernest was a farm labourer I would think it highly probable that his father was a farm labourer also. He certainly came from a family of poor/low financial means and the occupation of wheelwright for his grandfather would be consistent with Ernest's occupation/background.  Im wondering if anyone can find a marriage announcement for Ernest and Susan in a newspaper  that might clarify his parentage etc and give the name of the church they were married in.?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 May 17 21:40 BST (UK) »

... I found a birth registration record for a Ernest Hyland July qrt 1885 in Ticehurst.

Do you mean Edward  Hyland - can;t see a registration for an Ernest in that quarter, but there is an Edward.

Sadly, he's not your man

Edward Hyland
Age at Death:    1
Registration Q1 1887    Ticehurst Vol2b, p69

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 May 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
There's a birth of an Ernest Edward Hyland registered in March 1904, Ticehurst,  2b 108. Mother Akehurst.
Going back, a birth in March 1900, Ticehust, Ellen Mary Hyland, mother Akehurst
1901 census has Ellen with parents George and Mary in Ticehurst.
George Hyland, 21, born Ticehurst.

Marriage Dec 1899 Ticehurst 2b 250
Akehurst, Mary Ann
Hyland, George William

I mention it just in case there should be some connection.
Could this be George's birth reg?
June 1881 Ticehurst
Hyland, George William
mother  -     
(appears to be illegitimate)

Marriage in Battle, March 1885
Hyland, Sarah Annie
Wickens, James Henry

Birth, Battle, Dec 1885
Wickens, Ernest
mother Hyland

1891 Mayfield
piece 783 folio 64 page 8
James Wickens 53
Sarah Ann Wickens 34
George Willm Hyland Stepson 10 Ticehurst
Ellen Mary Hyland Stepdau 7
Ernest Wickens Son 5 Ewhurst
Joseph Wickens Son 3
Henry Wickens Son 11 mo

Sarah seems to have married again to a Harry Morris by 1901. Are in Hellingly.
Ernest Wickens may later be on the missing list. Could he have become Ernest Hyland?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Just running with this, you never know...
Second marriage of the mother
June 1899 Ticehurst 2b 267
Morris, Henry
Wickens, Annie
(she is Annie in 1901)

From 1918 there are three Hyland-Akehurst births in Tonbridge
Is this George's death?
June 1952 Tonbridge 5b 821
Hyland, George William
age 71
(the probate record that year is not for him)

We can see from the 1901 census that they had been in Burwash
Records from the school at Burwash -
Admitted 6.11.94
Ernest Wickens
born 23.10.86 (1 year out from birth reg!)
father James
residence Burwash House
last school attended R Catholic School B'wash
Also admitted same day, Joseph Wickens, born 16.2.88
Both left 6.8.95, "Gone to R.C. School"