Author Topic: Help to find WW2 records/info. Uniform ID.  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Fishyfins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to find WW2 records/info. Uniform ID.
« on: Sunday 21 May 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Me and my family are currently trying to find information on the WW2 involvement of my grandad. Sadly he passed away in 1986, a month before i was born, and long before we started doing family history so we have never been able to ask him, and surviving information on him is scarce.

A google search yields absolutely nothing. All we have are 4 photos of him in uniform (attached... one is dated 1942), as well as some information from my Grandma who is still with us today. Here is what we know...

Born in Hull, we know he served in Gibraltar as part of a bomb disposal unit. Further research has shown us this was probably the Royal Engineers.
Grandma told us a story of how his group exploded some ammunition, and accidentally discovered a network of natural caves. She said they were called St Michael's Caves, and there is a plaque there dedicated to them. We have looked into this, and it seems this part is quite true, and that a deeper level of St Michael's Caves was uncovered in 1942 by blasting by the Royal Engineers.

Thats basically as much as we know. If anyone can help us out by pointing us in a direction we can go, or helping to identify anything specific about his uniform, we would be greatly appreciative!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find WW2 records/info. Uniform ID.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you give his name/birthyear/birthplace please just in case somebody is able to help

Some info here re: WW2 records

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Uniform ID I'll leave to the many experts on Rootschat

S
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Fishyfins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course!

Name: William Eric Bakes
Born: 18th Feb 1921
Birthplace: Hull, UK

Thankyou for the help :)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 17 07:02 BST (UK) »
The only distinguishing thing about his uniform is his trade badge which I read as AE - Ammunition Examiner.  In WW2 in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, now Ammunition Technician in the RLC. 

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Fishyfins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the reply MaxD, thats very interesting. Ammunition Examiner does sound promising, since we know he worked in bomb disposal, and looking into it, the ROSC did perform this function in WW2. Is this the patch you are on about? I have also blown up what i can of who im assuming is his COs cap from the group shot. Its not very clear, but if that could be identified it might tell us something.

Thanks
Fishy

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Yes the trade badge is the one with laurel wreath round the letters.  (RAOC by the way).

The officer's badge isn't the RAOC but don't read too much into that.  You'll notice from the wrist badges of rank and stripes how many senior NCOs there are in the photo.  That suggests to me a Sergeant's Mess in a garrison somewhere where the CO could have been any regiment.

To be sure, follow CaroleW's advice and send for his records.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Chronologically the photo with him in the side cap is the earliest.  It's probably 1940 - new uniform, gas mask case and side cap.

The second on in khaki battledress with his AE badge and Arm of Service strip (the coloured rectangle on his arm) must be 1941 onwards.

The third Sgts' photo is post WW2 as medal ribbons are being worn. The tropical uniform matches Gibraltar service.

Offline Joroti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
For FishyFins,

WE Bakes attended the No 64 Ammunition Examiner (War) Course at Bramley near Basingstoke between April and August 1943, gaining a distinction (80%). I have been writing a book on that profession for nearly 8 years having been in that trade myself. I can send you his course report later. The image with him alongside a sailor must be dated after he graduated in August 1943 as he would not have been eligible to wear the AE badge until then. The AEs did assist the Royal Engineers in clearing the defensive minefields in Gibraltar from late 1943 when the threat of invasion had passed with the successful Allied landings in Sicily and Italy. Do you have any other records to chart his service after Gibraltar as it would be great to use him in my book.

Regards, John

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
While this is of direct interest to Fishyfins rather than to me, the clarification is welcome (and welcome again to Rootschat by the way - your knowledge of the RAOC will come in very useful I am sure).

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk