Author Topic: Bonar Bridge, Scotland  (Read 9432 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Bonar Bridge, Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
djct,

I did see all the deaths for everyone named Penuel on SP in whole of Scotland.

Sorry, but I'm not understanding what you're meaning regarding Bonar & Durness?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
Rosinish; Movement from Durness down to south Sutherland was fairly rare in the 19th/early 20th century, as it was a long journey for no likely economic benefit.

However, if he was the miller at Balnakeil that might well be a decently paying job for an "incomer". The mill itself still exists but it's too dangerous to enter now as the wood has rotted and the roof is caving in. The lade hasn't been cleared of weeds and aquatic plants for decades so the water barely flows. Having lived and worked in Durness Andrew then moves south with his children to Bonar. Such a move was slightly unusual, though not implausible.

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Annie,
  I don't know about a step brother named William, but it does raise the question.  Could she be named after her father named William?  Is it possible that he grew up around Bonar and possibly ran away or died somehow?  If he is from the area would there be records of him, birth or death, some sort or roll?
  I will ask my son-in-law about this, to see if his mother remembers anything about her Grandmother.  If he comes up with something I'll post it.
  Again thanks for your help, it is appreciated.
Chip

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 02:04 BST (UK) »
Annie,
  I don't know about a step brother named William, but it does raise the question.  Could she be named after her father named William? 

Sorry, I have been reading through what I have found to put it all together as I'm losing track & I have made an error ::)

I said step-brother but should have been half brother

So, that William is out of the equation as father!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 02:39 BST (UK) »
djct,

With you now  ::)

I have been trying to follow that direct line as best I can with no certificates but of course it's a case of is this them/could it be them.

Yes the distance is quite something but I have also considered the fact that Andrew Levy (from the 1901 census) is listed as having been born Haddingtonshire (East Lothian) but his wife was born Durness.

Looking at the names & dates they could be the correct family although they may not be?

I'm unsure if OP (Chip) wants to follow that line or even the Ross line?

It would certainly need certs. to move back i.e. my finds are only possibles as with any blind research.

However, it looks an interesting lot  :D

Annie

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
dcjt, Annie,
 just talked to my son-in-law and he says they believe Williamina's father Munroe died from a building/construction accident.
 I was wondering, because of the size of the area could James Levy have known Munroe, friends or related, cousins as an example.
 No matter what James Levy seems on the surface to be a good man to have married Isabella Ross and taken in her daughter.  For all accounts he treated her like his own daughter.
 Thanks again for all your help.
Chip

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 25 May 17 03:21 BST (UK) »
Okay, that's a fitting story but whether true or not is different.

Many things were said regarding absent fathers not like more recent times.

Do you know if Williamina had any memory of him, how old she was when he died, anything significant at all?

It's a good possibility something like that would be in the local paper but the only timeline we can go by is between the conception of Williamina & a short time prior to her mother's marriage.

Annie

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 25 May 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
If I may digress slightly, the Dunlop family were the occupiers of Balnakeil House from the late 18th century till the Elliots took over. they employed the shepherds and the miller (the mill itself was 100 yards from the house). as a result of this "Dunlop" became a very common middle name amongst employees. If born in Durness in 1854, Barbara Dunlop was not batised in the Free Church - her name's not in the records.

Incidentally, migration north to work was not unusual (most of the shephers were from the Lothians, Ayrshire and Northumberland), but outward migration tended to be across the Atlantic or round the Cape of Good Hope and on to the Antipodes.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 May 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
If born in Durness in 1854, Barbara Dunlop was not batised in the Free Church - her name's not in the records.

I'm unsure where you find Barbara born 1854?

From 1901 I listed;

Barbara Wife 42 (1859) Born Durness, Sutherland

I believe her parents to be Robert Dunlop & Janet Campbell?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ4S-N5P

Annie

Added I see it now from her age given on death to which I added the year to correspond with that info. for easy counting & a ref. for later rather than anyone having to use a calculator.
As we all know, any info. given by any informant on any death is as good as their knowledge & may not be fact/precise.