Author Topic: Bonar Bridge, Scotland  (Read 1666 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bonar Bridge, Scotland
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 25 May 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Robert Dunlop and Janet Campbell lived in Durine, Durness. They were married on the old traditional Scottish date of 31st December 1850, had a son Anthony baptised 20th February 1852 and a son James baptised 11th April 1854.

Robert was born in either 1816 or 1821 - there are two Robert Dunlops in the Durness records. By the same reckoning, Janet was born in 1828 or 1829.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 25 May 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
djct,

I have stopped researching that line as they are not the direct line for Williamina.

Williamina's direct line would be who I believe to be Isabella's parents;

James Ross & Mary McLean married 1889 Bonar (Indexed 046/1 1 1);

but of course it would need the marriage of Isabella & James Dunlop MacDonald Levy to prove that theory.

As for Williamina's father that would be guess work but when I have time I will have a look at possibles although waiting on feedback as to when the father possibly died to narrow things down.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 26 May 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
If my thoughts are correct, I believe Isabella Ross' mother Mary MacLean was previously married to a Hugh Munro?

Marriage?

MCLEAN MARY      MUNRO HUGH
046/1 2
Bonar

Death

MACLEAN MARY
046/1 3
Bonar

MUNRO MARY
046/1 3
Bonar

ROSS MARY
046/1 3
Bonar

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 26 May 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
Annie, djct,
  I do not know nor does my son-in-law know when Isabella married James Levy.  No one knows if Isabella was a single mother for a period of time, this I find hard to believe that she would be.  My belief is that Williamina's father died before her birth and that James took his place, for whatever reason.  Of course I can not prove this, it is just something I think would or could happen.  If this was what happened, then he would have disappeared prior to Dec. 1909 and was, again I can't prove, known in the area.  Do you think this makes any sense.
  I will try to gather more info from my son-in-laws sisters and hopefully his mother.  Until then thanks again.

Chip

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 May 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Annie,
  I don't know about Hugh Munro, but yes Mary Ross (McLean) 1853-1930 was Isabella's mother.  Mary Ross's parents were Hugh McLean and Janet McLean (Ross).  It is all very interesting.  I'm not sure if I want to dig too deep into this.
  Thanks again.

Chip

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 26 May 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chip,

I think you may have missed a few of my posts.

I posted Williamina's birth cert. on Reply #22 as well as this, her mother's marriage details below.

Marriage;

LEVY JAMES DUNLOP    ROSS ISABELLA
046/1 6
Bonar

The marriage which is downloadable from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (for a small fee via credits)
will tell you if she was previously married.

I think I have found who could potentially be Williamina's father who died Nov 1908 & Williamina was born 21 Mar 1909 i.e. the story would fit with her father being deceased prior to her birth although it wasn't an accident.

I need to go out for now but will post my findings later.

Annie

Offline cerchier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 27 May 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
  Thank you for the info.  I would have sent you a personal email, but not so sure how to do that.
  Again, thank you and I will try to figure that out.

Cheers, Chip