Author Topic: John Ryan born Ireland 1808ish-died in NZ in 1892  (Read 4315 times)

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ryan born Ireland 1808ish-died in NZ in 1892
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Try to find him on passenger list going to Australia. You may have tried that angle already.
All the Irish side is pre Registration. The information that you have is very limited.

There are very few Church records prior to 1808 to search for his parents marriage, or family baptisms

By any chance did he name any dwelling that he lived in, in Australia or New Zealand.
Some emigrants name their new home after the place or area that they had come from.

Offline Carolynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hello there
Good idea with the house naming! Yes I've tried the passenger lists previously. All I have is information about where John Ryan and Catherine Hennessy lived which, according to their 1841 marriage certificate, is Kent Street, Sydney.  How I wish they'd held onto that piece of land it'd be worth a squillion now :-)
So many questions: When did John Ryan arrive in Australia? Why did he travel from Australia to New Zealand in 1841? Where did he get the money to buy or lease three ships in New Zealand?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
Tried to narrow down the possible parishes.
Had a look at the Tithe Applotment book for Coleman in Kilkenny (not every household is listed only farms large enough to pay a Tithe)
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
That gave two Civil parishes, so than find what RC parish they are in and you get Owning and Templeorum
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0999
And St.John's http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0991
Worth a look at least, even if John isn't there the parents could be with later children.

As John Ryan is a gardener the City parishes seem more likely.

Offline Carolynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 04:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Sinann.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 07:52 BST (UK) »

As John Ryan is a gardener the City parishes seem more likely.

On second thoughts, he may have worked for one of the landed gentry on an estate so rural is just as likely.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 May 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
mentioned on family search

http://www.familysearch.org

Offline grapo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 June 17 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolynn, first time on this site, but I hope I'm doing it right.
Just noticed your postings about John Ryan (my g-g-grandfather) and I can tell you quite a lot about him post his marriage to Catherine Hennessy. In answer to some of your musings, he did have 10 children. Those you missed out on are George, born 1830 and buried at Lyttleton cemetery, Catherine (Kate), born 1837 and Anthony, born 1840.
Catherine Hennessy was recorded in the St Patricks church records as being buried on January 6, 1846.
A couple of other points: they family came to NZ on the Sophia Pate, not the Sofia Pete, as recorded in Esther's newspaper obituary.
Also, over the years, John Ryan owned at least 15 ships, not just the three you list. I have a full list.
I have put together a longish piece on John Ryan's life, so let me know if you need more info.
Cheers

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 June 17 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there Grapo - welcome to Rootschat. If you make 2 more posts you can use the Personal Message system ( the document icon below your name).
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Carolynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 June 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Grapo
Thanks so much for your information. You're a gem.  I'd appreciate any other information on John Ryan that you're willing to share. 
I wasn't sure whether George Ryan was John Ryan's brother or his son. When John Sandford died intestate in 1883, George Ryan was Esther Sandford (nee Ryan) witness in the Court proceedings.

Hi Carolynn, first time on this site, but I hope I'm doing it right.
Just noticed your postings about John Ryan (my g-g-grandfather) and I can tell you quite a lot about him post his marriage to Catherine Hennessy. In answer to some of your musings, he did have 10 children. Those you missed out on are George, born 1830 and buried at Lyttleton cemetery, Catherine (Kate), born 1837 and Anthony, born 1840.
Catherine Hennessy was recorded in the St Patricks church records as being buried on January 6, 1846.
A couple of other points: they family came to NZ on the Sophia Pate, not the Sofia Pete, as recorded in Esther's newspaper obituary.
Also, over the years, John Ryan owned at least 15 ships, not just the three you list. I have a full list.
I have put together a longish piece on John Ryan's life, so let me know if you need more info.
Cheers