Author Topic: Moorfield, Gosforth, Newcastle-on-Tyne  (Read 4715 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moorfield, Gosforth, Newcastle-on-Tyne
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 May 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Local Studies on the 6th floor of Newcastle City Library hold the 'Ward's Directory of Newcastle Etc. 1911-1912'

This records:

'Kenton Road.
Begins at Old Grand Stand, Town moor
KENTON LODGE
Holzapfel M. composition mnfr
KENTON LODGE FARM
Hudspeth J. farmer
THE POPLARS
Vaughan W. S con engineer
THE CEDARS
Mosely H. bank manager
MOORFIELD
Lunn, G shipowner
BEECHCROFT
Gregory A iron merchant
PARKSIDE
Ball A. F. elec. engineer

Grand Stand Skating Rink'

I hope this is of help. :)
Best Wishes from RTL

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 May 17 17:03 BST (UK) »

Given Stan's find of a 'for sale' in 1916, I'm not sure when it was sold, as an entry in the Gazette of 1919 has his address as Moorfield, Gosforth:

I have deleted that as I am not sure it is the same building, the number of rooms don't match, and it says Apply, 3 Newlands Road, which is off Moorfield Road.

Stan

Yep - noticed the Newlands Road and did wonder.

The planning info is interesting - not sure when it stopped being a residential house though - only that it was pre-1988. It was probably registered if it was late OO, so deeds might well not exist - my solicitor friends say that they're not obliged to keep them in their dusty stores if registered!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 May 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Excellent on the spot sleuthing Gadget  :D
It would be nice to know what the old house looked like. Interesting that they kept the old front door.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 May 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at all the old pics of Gosforth sites but nothing there. That area was/is the 'posh' bit of Gosforth so maybe they didn't take pics! 

I'm pretty familiar with the Moorfield (street) area as I've delivered many leaflets in that area in the past few years  ;D

I'm at Gosforth Lbrary tomorrow for my class so might ask if there are any photo resources there.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 May 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
There is an longish article in the Morpeth Herald dated Friday 29 August 1913  titled
'TESTIMONIAL TO EVANGELISTS'

This article concerns the widefelt sympathy about having to lay off two evangelists in the local area.  An appeal was set up.  The article concludes:

'There is no doubt but that the appeal will be handsomely responded to.  The treasurer to the testimonial fund is Mr. R. H. Millican, Croft Glass Works, and the secretaries Councillor George Lunn, Moorfield, Gosforth and Mr J. Ferguson, Thursby Elm Grove, Forest Hall.'

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 May 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
The 1914 Ward's Directory  records that Lunn Geo. (L & Maccoy); r Moorfield, Gosforth

The 1930 Ward's Directory records that at Kenton Road, MOORFIELD lived

Lunn, Sir G. Shipowner (T.42)

These directories can also be viewed at Newcastle library.  I ran out of time to look at any more directories.  However, this shows that the building was still a private home then in 1930.

Best Wishes :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 May 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
.  However, this shows that the building was still a private home then in 1930.

Hi RTL

If you read through  previous postings, you'll see that it was a private residence in 1939 and again in 1954. In 1988 planning was granted to builfd a residential home.

Gadget

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 May 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone & Gadget (for your trek & pics)  ;D

Hope the weather was better than here?

Looks like I could be on this line for a while but good to know where he lived regardless of the fact it's no longer 'that' house  :(

Gadget,

The original post with 'Moorfield' on it, it looks to have an indent where there was possibly a gate, am I right?
It looks very grand & the front entrance looks lovely indeed, love the stonework & colour.

Stan,

I'm unable to see anything on this link, have to 'Log in with username & password' but I don't see anything to join if not a member?

The map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/423856/566922/12/100509 shows the front of Moorside is in line with the front of the Cedars, as is the present building.

RTL,

Thanks for this, I didn't have it but it's interesting as George's son George married Beatrice MacCoy i.e. this may be her father Thomas & possibly how Geo. Jnr. met his future wife?

The 1914 Ward's Directory  records that Lunn Geo. (L & Maccoy); r Moorfield, Gosforth

Jen,

Indeed, a great help & interesting as you say about keeping the original entrance just a pity they hadn't kept the rest & extended it if it wasn't big enough  ::) Hopefully something of the original will turn up somewhere  :-\

Excellent on the spot sleuthing Gadget  :D
It would be nice to know what the old house looked like. Interesting that they kept the old front door.

Many thanks folks,

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
I'm unable to see anything on this link, have to 'Log in with username & password' but I don't see anything to join if not a member?

The map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/423856/566922/12/100509 shows the front of Moorside is in line with the front of the Cedars, as is the present building.

Annie, I am not a subscriber to Old Maps, but the link opens perfectly for me. Try reducing the zoom level a bit.

just a pity they hadn't kept the rest & extended it if it wasn't big enough  ::)

I would think that an old building such as that might not be suitable for conversion to modern standards.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk