Author Topic: Moorfield, Gosforth, Newcastle-on-Tyne  (Read 4746 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moorfield, Gosforth, Newcastle-on-Tyne
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 May 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Enlarging Google maps to as large as possible, it looks s if the nursing home has a front end built on. Then going up the back road with Street view and looking west, it looks as if the back might well be the old house.  As I said, I'll go around this afternoon and do a mosey, walk about. If anyone's around I might ask about it's history  ;D

Ps -  we pass the end of Kenton road a few times a week.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 May 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Stan

Please read my last post - Moorfield is both a house and a street.

i've been looking at the 1901 and the house was probably  the same as Annie found was a Care home. Also note that I'm going around this afternoon to investigate. I live about 1/2 mile away.
Gadget

I meant in reference to this query Moorfield was a house.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 May 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
it looks as if the back might well be the old house.

The map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/423856/566922/12/100509 shows the front of Moorside is in line with the front of the Cedars, as is the present building.

Stan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 May 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
it looks as if the back might well be the old house.

The map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/423856/566922/12/100509 shows the front of Moorside is in line with the front of the Cedars, as is the present building.

Stan

As I have said,  I'm going around this afternoon and will give a more definite answer. From the details of the nursing home, there must have been a fair bit of building work as there are now 35 private rooms (21 with en suite).  The current planning restrictions in the area don't permit building forward of the original frontage lines, so must be up/sideways or  ??? 

A very large nursing home has just been built more or less opposite.   

If I can, I'll try to find someone who may know of the history of the house. 

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 May 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Thanks to all for maps etc. I will have a good look at them but it does seem as though the Moorfield Nursing Home is in situ where my relatives house once was.

So, do I add Kenton Road as the Street name now?

Gadget,

I have a fair amount of info. on this family which I'm revisiting to add to my FTM.

I only found out there were missing births on the 1911 so not had a chance to look yet.

I've found  a George Lunn in South Shields on the various censuses - same age.

He may well be a relative I haven't found yet? This is a large side of my tree with lots of interesting things I've gathered & probably more to find.

This particular George was 'Sir George Lunn' Lord Mayor of Newcastle (1915 - 1917) so I've had fun researching his life over the years.

Many thanks for taking the time to go & have a look!!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 May 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
Not sure when that part of the road was named Kenton Road. The earliest so far on maps is 1938, but assume it was earlier. At the time of the census many parts of that area was 'sub- addressed' Elmfield Park.

Given Stan's find of a 'for sale' in 1916, I'm not sure when it was sold, as an entry in the Gazette of 1919 has his address as Moorfield, Gosforth:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31293/page/4887/data.pdf

Have you got an obituary for him - 1939?  Maybe that would give his final address as Moorfield looks empty later on.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 May 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
Just found an obit inThe Evening Chronicle which says he died at Moorfield. 'his Gosforth home'.

Added - and a notice to any creditors calling it 'Moorside'

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 May 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
I've just returned. Had a look around and assessed that the buildng is fairly recent - say last 20-30 years. The gateposts and entrance door are the originals and I have enclosed pics of them. Also the building is much wider than No 4 and also goes back much further.

The latest info in newspapers  that I've found is a ref to a National Savings employee living there in 1954.

The current building dates from 1988 when an application for the erection of a residential nursing home was made to Newcastle City Planning Dept.:

https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/propertyDetails.do?activeTab=relatedCases&keyVal=001AEXBSLI000

In particular, see:

https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=8801565OUT

So, somewhere between 1954 and 1988 the house was demolished. The block of flats next door  (add- Beechcroft) looks earlier (poss 1960s-70s).

Gadget

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 May 17 16:44 BST (UK) »

Given Stan's find of a 'for sale' in 1916, I'm not sure when it was sold, as an entry in the Gazette of 1919 has his address as Moorfield, Gosforth:

I have deleted that as I am not sure it is the same building, the number of rooms don't match, and it says Apply, 3 Newlands Road, which is off Moorfield Road.

Stan