Author Topic: John Halford.  (Read 2271 times)

Offline ricardoespana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John Halford.
« on: Monday 22 May 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
After all your wonderful help yesterday - I asking for help on behalf of my cousin in Australia.

Name John Halford (but could be spelt differently (could also be Helford and Holford).
Born about 1795 - give or take say 5 years.

He married a Mary Newman in Wyke Regis in 1819 and had 2 children.

If at all possible...I am looking for where and when he was born ... where and when he died ... any possible census record....and any other information about him..
ALSO, any information about his wife Mary Newman born 1791 in Portland, Dorset.....where and when died, etc.
Did they go overseas - he was in the 10th Dorset Dragoons in 1820?

Any help will be appreciated.
Regards
Richard
Apsey, Milner.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: John Halford.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
A useful, free site for various records from Dorset parishes:

http://www.opcdorset.org/

There is a baptism in 1791 for Mary, daughter of Edward and Susanna Newman at St. George, Portland but other details missing.

John and Mary were married 6th February 1820.  John shown as being of Melcombe Regis

Mary has been transcribed as Amy on the OPC site but the original image is poor so understandable; John transcribed as a soldier of 16th Dragoons.

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 May 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Although his marriage entry describes John as a soldier in the 16th Dragoons, the 1821 baptism entry says that he is a trumpeter in the 16th Lancers. I believe they may have been at Waterloo (1815).

Mary Newman's father, Edward, a carter from Wakeham, Portland, died in 1811 leaving a will. Unfortunately it names Susannah, his widow, but not any of his children. He owned at least two houses.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricardoespana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 May 17 19:20 BST (UK) »
Although his marriage entry describes John as a soldier in the 16th Dragoons, the 1821 baptism entry says that he is a trumpeter in the 16th Lancers. I believe they may have been at Waterloo (1815).

Mary Newman's father, Edward, a carter from Wakeham, Portland, died in 1811 leaving a will. Unfortunately it names Susannah, his widow, but not any of his children. He owned at least two houses.

Richard

I have passed these details to my cousin in Australia...
Regards
Richard
Apsey, Milner.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
John Edward Halford (b1821) lived in Southampton for most of his life having married Maria Arnold. The 1841 census shows a John Halford, 20, living in Southampton with Mary Cockett, 45 and her children. I wonder whether this is his mother; she is certainly the right age. Furthermore there is an 1825 marriage in Wyke Regis between a William Cockatt, widower and Mary Alfred, widow, where one of the witnesses is Susanna Newman. (ie her mother).

It all seems too much of a coincidence not to be the same person but it would require Mary, his mother, to have married three times between 1819 and 1825 (or changed her name for another reason).

Richard

Added at 11.58: it is clearly the same person but Halford has been written as Alfred. Only two marriages!

Offline ricardoespana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 10:48 BST (UK) »
John Edward Halford (b1821) lived in Southampton for most of his life having married Maria Arnold. The 1841 census shows a John Halford, 20, living in Southampton with Mary Cockett, 45 and her children. I wonder whether this is his mother; she is certainly the right age. Furthermore there is an 1825 marriage in Wyke Regis between a William Cockatt, widower and Mary Alfred, widow, where one of the witnesses is Susanna Newman. (ie her mother).

It all seems too much of a coincidence not to be the same person but it would require Mary, his mother, to have married three times between 1819 and 1825 (or changed her name for another reason).

Richard

Have passed the message on...Thank you for your kind help...much appreciated..
Apsey, Milner.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
St George, Portland, Dorset;

Edward NEWMAN Married Susan PARK, 17 Feb 1789

EDWARD Newman Buried 18 September 1811

SUSANNA Newman Buried 30 August 1824 age 57, abode Wakeham** ( 1767)

Baptisms of their Children;
JOHN 23 Oct 1789, buried 23 Oct 1790
MARY 27 Nov 1791**
EDWARD 22 Feb 1794
JOHN 18 Feb 1797
Then a gap til;
SARAH 5 Nov 1809

All on FreeREG

To fill thee gap above;
Familysearch. Org has these christenings to EDWARD/SUSANNA Newman ;
SUSANNA Christened 29 Oct 1800
CHARLOT 16 Sept 1802
ANNE 29 Dec 1805

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
I've now revised a previous post as I'm sure Mary Alfred is a mis-writing of Mary Halford, so they are the same person.

Susanna Park(e) was baptised on 13 July 1766 in Portesham, the daughter of John and Mary (nee Green) Parke (mistranscribed on Ancestry as Savanna). When her mother died in 1776 her entry reads 'Mary Park, wife of John Park, now abroad under transportation for burglary and felony. A baptised heathen.'

John Park and others were sentenced in Dorchester on 29 Apr 1767 to be transported to Maryland, USA.

Richard

Offline ricardoespana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
I've now revised a previous post as I'm sure Mary Alfred is a mis-writing of Mary Halford, so they are the same person.

Susanna Park(e) was baptised on 13 July 1766 in Portesham, the daughter of John and Mary (nee Green) Parke (mistranscribed on Ancestry as Savanna). When her mother died in 1776 her entry reads 'Mary Park, wife of John Park, now abroad under transportation for burglary and felony. A baptised heathen.'

John Park and others were sentenced in Dorchester on 29 Apr 1767 to be transported to Maryland, USA.

Richard

Hi Richard
My cousin says a huge Thank You for all the information. It has proved to be extremely beneficial. One question though - Have you any link to how Transportation was to Maryland USA - or was that the usual base for some convicts?
Regards
Richard
Apsey, Milner.