Author Topic: William Holmes  (Read 3297 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Holmes
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
When i first looked at William Holmes marriage to Bridget O'Connor dtr of James O'Connor i could not make out James occupation but now it is quite obvious SWEEP.
So i believe James Gray and James O'Connor are the same person.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10788/5934430.pdf

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Going back to Stephen K's original request
A friend has asked me for help in finding information on her maternal grandfather William Holmes.
I think that the Ellen HOLMES located is William's mother, based on the records in the area and the frequency of the name etc. but there would still need to be some evidence to prove same.

If Catherine HOLMES born 1899 is the Kate HANLY on the 1911 census it would imply to me that James HANLY was agreeable to accept Kate as his daughter.

As William was not present it may be his age (he had moved out) or his parentage. Unfortunately there is nothing to date to give further information on his paternal side.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi myluck
             what do you think of the slip on the marriage cert where the priest has crossed out Cashman and entered Holmes,perhaps William knew ? his fathers name .
On various baptismal registers where i have seen illegitimate children being baptised it looks like the priest has asked for both parents names then on discovering that the mother is not married he proceeds to obliterate the fathers name from the register.

just a thought.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
It's a difficult one as it's is assuming..

I'd love to see the original baptism to see if there was any reference there.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder