Author Topic: John Henry Smith 1796 - 1833  (Read 797 times)

Offline sarmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Henry Smith 1796 - 1833
« on: Monday 22 May 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
John Henry Smith was born circa 1796. I don't know if he was born in Lincolnshire but he got married to Jane Murr in Grantham in 1824 and had 4 children there: John Henry, Sydney, Sussanah and William. Sadly only Susannah survived. John was a wordsmith. He died in 1833. This is all the information I have about the family. I would really like to find out John's parents and wondered if anyone would be able to help. Thanks in advance.
Mortimer, Bennett, Hutchings, Warr, Truman, Hiscock, Lamb, Hall, Bratchell, Kirby

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry Smith 1796 - 1833
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
John Henry Smith was born circa 1796. I don't know if he was born in Lincolnshire but he got married to Jane Murr in Grantham in 1824 and had 4 children there: John Henry, Sydney, Sussanah and William. Sadly only Susannah survived. John was a wordsmith. He died in 1833. This is all the information I have about the family. I would really like to find out John's parents and wondered if anyone would be able to help. Thanks in advance.

I don't think so ... one baptism says Whitesmith, t'other three Bellhanger (see FreeREG)

Deaths (Stamford Mercury 14 June 1833)
At Grantham on the 8th June 1833, John Henry SMITH the well known mechanic aged 37.  His funeral was attended by a numerous assemblage of friends and fellow workmen, and by members of the Cross Swords Union Society who by their silent devotion at the service and at the christening of his infant child (which took place after the funeral) evinced their respect for the remains of a useful and worthy member of society.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline sarmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Whoops. That was autocorrect not being very helpful. I meant whitesmith as you say. I don't think I had come across bell hanger before as his occupation so thank you for that. And thank you for the information from the newspaper. That's very interesting. Yes his last son was born in 1832 so that fits. However I found a baptism for him so I'm wondering if the one baptised after the burial was another son which I do not have records for.
Mortimer, Bennett, Hutchings, Warr, Truman, Hiscock, Lamb, Hall, Bratchell, Kirby

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, the 1833 baptism is a mystery.  Here is the relevant baptism register page (on the right)-

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=653044&iid=340838
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline sarmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
Yes it's interesting. Thanks for that info. There is definitely no entry in there. I wonder if there is an entry along with the burial record. Stranger things have happened.