Author Topic: William West married Anna Schultz in Hull 1916  (Read 2492 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: William West married Anna Schultz in Hull 1916
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Yes. My grandfather was a lurryman for a time just after WW1 so I looked into it, as it wasn't a word I'd come across before either. As far as I know, its someone who drove horse and cart and then motorised vans (lorries) shifting goods about, mostly on the docks. It sounds as if it has a lot in common with a railway porter.

I'm getting in a right old pickle with the Annie E Roberts who Jomot found marrying Frederick Ramsdale in 1914. I found her on the 1911 census in Hull as a widow called Annie Eliza Roberts but with Frederick West as a lodger. She gives her birthplace as Barton in Lincs. Also living there is her son Herbert who I found born 1880 in Hull, mother's maiden name Hunt.

But then it all got rather cloudy. I thought i'd found the same Annie (still Roberts, widow) on the 1901 census in Sculcoates (Hull) but she says she was born in Hull and all her children listed on that census have MMN Vickerman!!

So, total headspin!!  :o :o
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Me too Jill  ::)

Found this on the Hull Archives site.

Definitely "your" William West.

Doesn't help a bit really, but it's interesting!

http://catalogue.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/catalogue/C-TYR-4-1-2217277

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
Afraid I've found another contender for Annie Ramsdale.

Ernest W Ramsdale married Annie Sherrif in Hull
1912, 3rd quarter, 9D 551

Both still together in 1939

Yorkslass

I think she may be too young but, if Annie Ramsdale is Wm's aunt, I suppose she might be much younger than his mother.

Found her on the 1901 and she was born in Hull.

That's a great find, Yorkslass. Definitely him - right address. At least that's something concrete I can print off and give to my friend. Not sure I'll have much else when I see him next!!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillruss,

I think this is Annie E Roberts in 1901 142/9/55

Hannah E Roberts, Nurse, b Barton, Lincolnshire

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
I think you may be right,heywood.

However, after tearing my hair out for most of the afternoon and evening (nothing on tv - I'm assuming its football) I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that good old Annie Ramsdale was no relation to William West.

I believe she is the Annie who marries Frederick Ramsdale in 1914. She's on the 1911 census in Hull as a widow named Annie Eliza Roberts with her son Herbert (30). Perhaps Herbert was friends with William West and Annie became an honorary auntie. I had a close friend of my mother's who I called Auntie even though she was no relation at all.

Anyway, Herbert was born 1880 and mother's maiden name is given as Hunt.  Ann E Hunt married George Roberts in Hull in 1866. ( he was a policeman who, on one census is down as from Dublin, Ireland and on the next is down as from India!! I ask you!!!).

Ann Eliza Hunt was born in Glanford Brigg RD (includes Barton, but some censuses have her from Boston! I ask you - again).

She seems to have had only one sister - Jane (1845)- who married the lodger (Frederick Ham). They had a few daughters so I wondered if one of them may have married a West but nothing found.

My head is spinning off its axis (that's me, I think!!) so I'm giving up on 'auntie' Annie as a red herring. However, if any of you , having read the above synopsis, think I may have missed an angle, please keep it to yourself - no, seriously, let me know and I'll have another go - tomorrow!

Many thanks for your help.

Jill
HELP!!!