Author Topic: Matilda Barnard birth about 1849 London, England  (Read 1731 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda Barnard birth about 1849 London, England
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Sister Elizabeth may be the woman who married in 1904 Ontario (marital status possibly says "D" - divorced?) - parents are correct:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZB1-TY5
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
The woman that married Samuel J Kelly in Ontario Canada is a sister of Matilda.  I took her status to be Spinster (S) rather than divorced (D).  Snippet attached.  The S for others on page seems clearer so perhaps there is an earlier marriage for Elizabeth Sarah Ann Barnard I have not found but if so would she have used maiden name at second marriage?

It seems like Matilda may have come to Canada but cannot find her here.  Perhaps I missed a death in UK?  There is an arrival in 1861 Canada for a Matilda Barnard born 1853 (age 6) but age seems off.  I know some siblings arrived around 1866 in Canada but that is based on Census documents rather than passenger lists.  Some siblings stayed in London, England area.

The connection to Wurdemann is incorrect as documents found show different parents
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 18 06:54 GMT (UK) »
'The connection to Wurdemann is incorrect as documents found show different parents'

Could you say who the parents were, so we also do not follow the wrong families, please?

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 January 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Parents for the Matilda that married Wiurdemann and passed in US were, according to Find a Grave, Henry Smith Barnard   and  Matilda Barnard 

Henry Smith Barnard
Birth 1810 •London, City of London, Greater London, England 
Death 23 Sep 1871 •District of Columbia, District Of Columbia, USA 
Burial  Oak Hill Cemetery • Washington, District of Columbia, District Of Columbia, USA   
Plot South Border 2, Site 13.

Matilda Gunn Barnard
Birth 1814 •London, City of London, Greater London, England 
Death 19 Oct 1900 •Washington, District of Columbia, District Of Columbia, USA 
Burial  Oak Hill Cemetery • Washington, District of Columbia, District Of Columbia, USA   
Plot South Border 2, Site 13.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
The woman that married Samuel J Kelly in Ontario Canada is a sister of Matilda.  I took her status to be Spinster (S) rather than divorced (D).  Snippet attached.  The S for others on page seems clearer so perhaps there is an earlier marriage for Elizabeth Sarah Ann Barnard I have not found but if so would she have used maiden name at second marriage?

Hi,

I found a 50th anniversary notice in the Globe and Mail newspaper (Sept 21, 1921 page 8 )... for Mr and Mrs David John Barnard of 15 Viewpoint Avenue, Mount Hamilton.  There is information about their children etc but listed under "friends from out of town" - Mrs and Mrs S J Kelly of Grimsby.  Since they mentioned sister Elizabeth in this list, it might be worth checking out others "friends" mentioned in this section (maybe Matilda??).  Mr and Mrs J M Game of Toronto, Mr and Mrs Fred Jones and daughter Muriel of Toronto and Rev J Austen Rudge of Mount Hamilton Methodist Church. 

RK

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 January 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I tried to access the Globe and Mail Archive but seems I need a Toronto library card.  I will have to check with local library in London, ON and see if they have access

Samuel J Kelly and Elizabeth Sarah Ann Barnard were living in Grimsby in the 1921 census so that is a perfect fit