Author Topic: Software recommendations  (Read 1050 times)

Offline GrahamAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Software recommendations
« on: Tuesday 23 May 17 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My wife and I are starting to get our family tree researched and starting to get a fair amount of information together - all on paper!.

As we are OK at the moment at getting the information (from a multitude of websites and family members) we are not needing help in that direction.

Where we do need help is in:-

1) Organizing the family tree
What is a good software product for us hold the family tree on our computer (not online)?
Being able to print parts of the tree would be nice.
If it could deal with item (2) below as well that would be the ideal solution.

2) Presenting the family tree (with photos)
I would like to create the family tree on a DVD/Blu-ray disk that can be played using a normal DVD/blu-ray player onto a TV. The reason for this is that many of the older family members are not very computer literate (if they have a computer at all!) - so I would like to keep it simple for them. The presentation should have a multi-level menu (I have trialed several products but they only have one menu), preferably with the name of the photo displayed on the screen (so they can easily get back to me with any amendments or with additional information). The multi-level menu is so they can easily navigate the family tree - a menu per person in the tree would be ideal.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Software recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 07:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

That's a difficult question to answer!
A bit like asking "What's the best biscuit?" ;D

Anyhow, I personally use RootsChat, and find it suits my needs.
I can, with "RootsMagic To Go", create a family tree on CD.

But, other software is equally good :-\

There are other, similar, threads that might be worth reading?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=127154.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=765659.0
(just 2 examples)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hob-Nobs, obviously  ;D ;D

And for family trees, RootsMagic is my favourite. But you can download a free version of various programs to see how you like them, then upgrade to the paid version of the one that works for you.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline GrahamAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hob-nobs, digestives (or the chocolate versions of either) & borbons do it for me!

Thanks for the recommendation. I have downloaded the trail version and have started to test it out.

I will post my conclusions after a good play with it.

Thanks again.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Top of the list on google is the [urlhttp://www.toptenreviews.com/software/home/best-genealogy-software/][/url].

I use both Rootsmagic and FTM 2017 (Test Drive vesion). I' m not sure which of the 'Top Ten' offers the best presentation to DVD. However, as a relative beginner on Family Trees,

I think it's wise to choose software that wil best help you keep your family tree 'organised' in years to come. The software that you feel most comfortable using. There are many workarounds to compensate for limited 'presentation' capabilities'.

Navigation and on-screen displays of family tree data is is pretty basic. Different programs do it differently. There may also come a time when you want to run checks against duplicates, age problems, etc. Or you may want to review which of your source citations are related to which facts (for which people) and which local images are associated with these citations. The best software helps you do this.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
There are several genealogical software packages - but I highly recommend that you select a package that produces a good Register report (or some book like format that you are happy with). If you ever decide to publish a book or upload your information to a web site some day - have a readable format is key (with photographs and indices). Sharing publications online will get people to write you asking you to add their information. If you have a good web presence, it greatly reduces the effort to collect information.

Also, many individuals switch to desktop publishing programs for book printing and web site generation. These products are much more expensive (and harder to learn) but you have much more control what you want to include and they look very professional. I use Ventura Publisher which includes photographs and huge indices (both name and geographic indices). I have done nine 600 page books (58,000 individuals with less than 10 % from internet sources). I can produce nine separate books (Acrobat or HTML) and also produced one combined online publication with 8,000 pages. All publications are fully indexed with name - including some date and geography and geographical indices by country, state, county, city, date). I can also generate an Acrobat file that printers will accept and print directly from the file - including photographs).

Going through a conversion later is very painful to re-enter information (or make major modifications). It is key that you write down a list of your long term goals and the most important features that you want over the next few years. My parents and I knew that we wanted to publish books up front. I started in the mid 1970s with both parents at it as well. Conversions are painful, so put some time into thinking what you might do up front.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland