Author Topic: Catholic churches in Bray County Wicklow  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic churches in Bray County Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Greystones is a village near Bray.
Cowban

Offline gilesgate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the help. I couldn't read the addresses in the record, so that was a big help and I have now found out that Greystones is a village on the coast just South of Bray. The Ist page of the Bray Parish Register is in Latin. My Latin is more than a bit rusty but I think that Sanctissimus Redemptorus is probably Holy Redeemer. It also mentions what looks like Saint Killian's, which is 1 of the churches in Greystones, although that doesn't appear to have existed until 1867. I have now also found an 1869 description of Bray, which mentions the Sugar Loaf Mountains overlooking the Valley of Diamonds. Again, thanks to everyone for help.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the help. I couldn't read the addresses in the record, so that was a big help and I have now found out that Greystones is a village on the coast just South of Bray. The Ist page of the Bray Parish Register is in Latin. My Latin is more than a bit rusty but I think that Sanctissimus Redemptorus is probably Holy Redeemer. It also mentions what looks like Saint Killian's, which is 1 of the churches in Greystones, although that doesn't appear to have existed until 1867. I have now also found an 1869 description of Bray, which mentions the Sugar Loaf Mountains overlooking the Valley of Diamonds. Again, thanks to everyone for help.

Looking at the page again keeping those name in mind, I think it says Holy Redeemer Bray and St. Killans Greystones, so Holy Redeemer would be the one they used.